Help! Door entry system buzzer no longer working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All, my communal door entry system no longer buzzes but the button to release the door still works. Popped it open and the wiring appears intact. Any advice on any troubleshooting steps? I’m guessing this system is around 15-20 years old. No clue how to obtain a replacement part.

Thanks !!

Attachments

• C55608D6-F89E-46DB-AE78-182CDDC2559B.jpeg
    C55608D6-F89E-46DB-AE78-182CDDC2559B.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 437A8A05-2C69-4C60-B627-CE83317FE10A.jpeg
    437A8A05-2C69-4C60-B627-CE83317FE10A.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 54674629-BE01-4445-B100-4AC2F087766C.jpeg
    54674629-BE01-4445-B100-4AC2F087766C.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Post piture of outside entrance panel.
Sparkymark will be along shortly,he's the the guy to resolve the problem.

There’s no buzzer it’s tone generated ….it’s either ….bad contact on button on outside panel / broken wire for call …..or do you have external sound on handset ? If not check the speaker ( 45ohm) in the handset . That would be a starting point

Reactions: CBW
hi @sparkymarka , there is no external sound on the handset. So in this unit does the handset speaker emit a tone in place of a buzzer?

Sponsored Links
Yes it comes out of the handset speaker , looks like it’s ensign council system , these may not connect the speech path untill the handset is called , do the leds for privacy work ? Has the handset been off the wall ? As it’s probably fuse protected

Thanks. That makes sense. Yes, it is in a council flat and was off the wall briefly for the conduit holding the cable to be chased into the wall. Is Ensign a brand ? Only logo i can find is a sort of lower case letter “b”. Where is the fuse ?

Google intercoms r us , handset finder it will give some information , it’s a modified bitron video handset , there will be a control cabinet somewhere …

Attachments

• 9AA8C8A9-36C3-49AA-BBF5-11FC72E68E7C.png
    9AA8C8A9-36C3-49AA-BBF5-11FC72E68E7C.png
    688.9 KB · Views: 75
Wow thanks. Very informative. I’m guessing I wouldn’t have access to the control cabinet as it’s in a block of flats but I’ll try and ask the council.

I forgot to reply the privacy LED never has seemed to work. The red LED flashes when someone opens the door after pressing the release button.

Given this unit is discontinued are replacements available ?

Go onto intercoms r us ….handset finder , scroll down to this handset and below it is the replacement unit …..was any of the wires removed when it was taken off the wall ? have they been put back in the correct terminals ? All way take a photo before removing any wires , I tend to snip them off and leave a small piece of the existing wire in the handset , this also can prevent the fuse getting blown aswell

Ok found that. Thanks. Useful tip re wire snipping. Thanks I’ll remember that.

No, no wires were removed or cut. Just had it stored tied up above the door whilst it was chased.

Disconnected the handset. Gave the connectors a clean and plugged it back in. Didn’t work first attempt but oddly 30 mins later it did

If cradle is not down correctly due to back plate being distorted ( overtight and twisting back plate ) it can cause issues , had it myself on some upgrades when wall not even …

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back