Help - - -Earth Bonding on water main (part plastic )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Just after a bit of advice on this one,
I am just about to have my C/U replaced, the sparks came round for a quick look about, he said I'll need to get the earth sorted out by running 2 10mm earth cables , 1 from gas main and 2 from stop cock in the kitchen .
What the problem is , is that a few months back my water main burst under the foundation so i cut into it and replaced a section with mdpe pipe which runs to the internal stop cock.
Now when I earth it what would be the best solution,
either clamp it at the stop cock which means the route back to earth would be broken by the mdpe section.
Or dig out the front of my garden again and locate the join in the copper/mdpe main and clamp it to the copper beneath the ground and feed it through an air brick.
Or both?

Thank you for any advice

Steve

Sponsored Links
You don't need your water main to run back to earth. Have your electrician connect the metal part of the system to your electricity supply earth and leave the pipe alone.

You don't need your water main to run back to earth. Have your electrician connect the metal part of the system to your electricity supply earth and leave the pipe alone.

Thanks sparky ,
If this is something I can do before he turns up to replace the C/U, please can you explain this part to me in a bit of detail (about the metal prt)

Cheers sparks

Steve

You need to run the earth cable to the first point in your property that is run in metal pipework, usually immediately after the stopcock. Don't worry about the supply running to your stopcock being in plastic.

Sponsored Links
If this is something I can do before he turns up to replace the C/U...
It is.

...please can you explain this part to me in a bit of detail (about the metal prt)
The requirement is to connect your incoming main water supply pipe to the MET, with the connection to the main being within 600mm of the point where it enters your property.

The purpose of the requirement is to 'equipotentially bond' the extraneous conductive part, i.e. arrange that all such points within your property are at the same ground potential.

Some (very few) incoming mains supplies don't have any metal at all within the first 600mm - if this is the case then you just have to bond at the first metal part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back