Help electric shower won't switch off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this morning our electric shower would not turn off even after it was switched off from the isolating switch the lights in the shower turned off but not the water. I then turned off the switch in the circuit breaker and that still did nothing, ran back up to the shower and then about 10 to 15 seconds later it stopped, but i think this may have been because it overheated and stopped as the shower haed had been put on the ground.

Any idea's on what could be wrong, 2 months ago i had trouble switching it off but it overheated and cut off and then i turned it off on the isolating switch. It worked fine the next day and has caused no problems till now.

It is a triton shower, i think it is a Jade II model.

Sponsored Links
Triton are rubbish showers!

They contain a solenoid which sometimes sticks on after the power has been disconnected.

Probably quite expensive to get it changed although its only about £15 to buy.

Unless its very new probably better to replace it with another make!

Tony

the solenoid valve needs changing.
it won't be because it overheated a shower can't overheat is you've isolated the mains power.

nothng wrong with triton at all just cause they didn't jump to your beck n call you get the arse. :rolleyes:

Triton are rubbish showers!
They're not the best, and they're not the worst, but apart from the DIY shed end of the range, they're very good value.

They contain a solenoid which sometimes sticks on after the power has been disconnected.
So do other brands.

Probably quite expensive to get it changed although its only about £15 to buy.
It isn't expensive to change a solenoid.

Unless its very new probably better to replace it with another make!
If it's very new then it's under warranty, but most Triton showers are easily repairable for far less than the cost of buying and fitting a new one.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible for a novice to change the solenoid, or would i need an electrician or plumber, also where would i get the part.

When i say over heated i mean that the water gets too hot and the shower cuts off to stop you from getting scalded, i had a pants electric shower in a rented property that would always do that.

When i say over heated i mean that the water gets too hot and the shower cuts off to stop you from getting scalded
thats not the problem you told us first.

this is what you told us.

Hi, this morning our electric shower would not turn off even after it was switched off from the isolating switch the lights in the shower turned off but not the water.
this points to the solenoid valve.

I then turned off the switch in the circuit breaker and that still did nothing, ran back up to the shower and then about 10 to 15 seconds later it stopped,
still the solenoid valve at fault.

but i think this may have been because it overheated and stopped as the shower haed had been put on the ground.

the shower can't over heat is it has no power to it.

if the shower overheated it activates the tco and you loose heat but the water still flows and the lights stay on.

ok yeah bit of a mistake there completely forgot that it can't do that if the powers off....
But where abouts can you get the part as i can only find places that sell the whole solenoid assembly and thats around £35 - £40.

The shower seems to be working again now, but it can only last so long.

ok yeah bit of a mistake there completely forgot that it can't do that if the powers off....
But where abouts can you get the part as i can only find places that sell the whole solenoid assembly and thats around £35 - £40.

The shower seems to be working again now, but it can only last so long.

I'd suggest the 'whole solenoid assembly' would be the smallest part you can buy in this area - the solenoid would have to be assembled at the factory, and they're unlikely to supply you the parts to make one yourself......

Have you tried here - www.showerdoctor.co.uk, especially the forum relating to your brand of shower?

You can buy the solenoid only from various places - eBay being one of them.

But the complete Triton assembly isn't expensive - certainly less than £35. Just order it on the Triton web site. And if you want to pay even less, order it from UK Shower Spares on Monday.

I'd suggest the 'whole solenoid assembly' would be the smallest part you can buy in this area - the solenoid would have to be assembled at the factory, and they're unlikely to supply you the parts to make one yourself......

what are you rambling on about ?

the solenoid coil is not part of the stabiliser valve and can be brought
seperate.

you would think the berk would know that given his extensive experience in the plumbing and heating industry

whats your job again goldberk :?: :?:

the solenoid coil is not part of the stabiliser valve and can be brought seperate.
There's some ambiguity here - he didn't say that he needed to buy the stabiliser valve - it might just be that he's trying to buy the solenoid coil and can only find the solenoid assembly.

However, replacing just the coil won't fix this problem, because the valve is sticking open.

who said just replace the coil ?

you just did
lol-031.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back