Help - Elson Diamond Hot Water Storage Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is anybody familar with this product? Apparently this is a double-feed indirect system, but there is only one ballvalve for CH & DHW cisterns. I am going to re-run almost all the CH pipes. How should I isolate the CH feed before I start draining down the CH system without interrupting the DHW. Any help will do. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the exploded view of the Elson diamond.

You should be able to see that the CH feed chamber is fed from the cold feed tank by a small tube running vertically down from the bottom of the tank. It seems to me that "bunging" this outlet (blocking with some sort of rubber cone) might work, but I'm not sure so best to check with Elson.

Better still is to look for suitable isolation valves on the heating system flow and return. If there aren't any, it would be a good idea to fit some, but make sure you fit them where the boiler vent and expansion functions can't be compromised.

Thanks for your reply. Can't find any tube from the CWSC and no sign of isolation valves in the CH flow or Return. Can't reach any Elson staff, any tips, please....

You've posted this on another forum as well. I know our advice is a cheap resource for you, but it isn't for us. Yes, it costs us real money to spend time answering your posts, so please don't abuse that by multiple posting :evil: .

Sponsored Links
I don't see any exploded views at the above website, just a matchbox sized drawing with parts unexplained.

I don't think bunging one of these would work easily, there's a wee vent from the hot water part up into the feed cistern which was in one case I had very small diameter. The only way I could drain the tank to change the immersion heaters was to shove a fine hose (windscreen washer hose) down the vent tube and leave it syphoning over night.

I'd had to knock a hole in a wall to reach the immersion heaters, but that's pretty normal...

ChrisR said:
I don't see any exploded views at the above website
The exploded views are better on some of the other products, which are essentially the same set up. There appears to be just one small feed from feed tank to the CH expansion container (a bit like a primatic unit). The feed to the main hot water store is of course separate and not an issue in this case.

Hi, thanks for the replies.
Since there is only one cold feed to both CH & CWSC. If I shut off the supply to this ballvalve it should terminate both cold feed to CH & hot water supply, then I can take time to drain down the CH system. (Am I wrong or right?) The problem is that it is no good to leave the people there without hot water for a long time especially when they have a baby.
Any advice? Thanks

It doesn't say anything about expansion for CH in the Elson Diamond though ???

If you look at the diamond schematic on the Elson web site (sorry, I don't know how to copy these things to this site - maybe kev will do it ;) ) you will see the main feed tank top left, then top right a small cylinder. This is the CH expansion vessel. It looks like a mini primatic cylinder. You obviously can't put an isolating valve on the outlet but there will be suitable locations for isolating CH circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back