Help.. Emersion Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do not have central heating; I use an emersion to heat all of my water.

Last night my emersion failed. I checked that the element was receiving a charge with my current detecting screwdriver and it appeared it did. So I bought a new element today and changed it and wired it back in. However, it still does not work. I have again checked that the element is receiving a charge and it is.

I am wondering whether the timer box is actually sending a charge, but it’s not sufficient.

Any ideas,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Electrician with appropriate test equipment required.

When you say you changed it, i take it you changed the whole lot, not just the thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Thats why I am stumped.. I turn the timer on and my screwdriver tells me theres a charge. I turn the timer off and it does not. Thats why I changed the element and thermostat, but its doing exactly what the other element did???

No... I can get hold of one tomorrow. What strength of current should I be looking for?

Info:

Neon screwdrivers are not reliable for testing. You can buy a multimeter in the high street for £5 - £10 that will be quite adequate for testing voltage.

ha ha

Current is measured in Amps not Volts. I noticed it too but thought not worth complaining about.

Voltage is what you should be looking for

Sorry Guys confused now...

What should the multimeter say if the current is good?

Sorry Guys confused now...

What should the multimeter say if the current is good?

If the VOLTAGE is good it should read about 230v give or take about 5%. That will indicate that the supply is (probably) OK and is the first thing you should test. It will go on and off with the switch.

Current is measured in Amps and varies with the appliance connected and working. So if the immersion heater is not running it will be nil. If it is heating it will be about 12Amps. But for what you are trying to test today, you should be looking for volts, not amps. So "Current" is not what you should be measuring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back