Help! enlarging kitchen into conservatory - removing a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Victorian house with a long narrow kitchen. The plan is to take out the supporting wall (and install an RSJ or two), move the water supply and drain onto an internal wall and to re-route the waste pipe (currently on the old external wall (pre conservatory).

The plan is to have the current kitchen and conservatory as one larger (and useable space). The plan is to take out an existing large sash window between the dinning room and the conservatory and make it the main door opening between the dining room and the newly formed kitchen.

Once the space has been formed, put in the appropriate electrics and lay a limestone floor.

My challenge is that no one seems interested in doing the work. Are all good tradesmen so busy. Most do not return my calls. What are we doing wrong?

Can any one help us on this?

Sponsored Links
removing the wall will deem the conservatory habitable dwelling, thus eligible as controlled work.

as will the new lintel to the knock through.

and probably any electrics too.

it is unlikely the new space created will satisfy part L building reg's, so it's a no brainer.

you can disregard all of the above and go ahead without reg's if you wish, but it is not a wise move.

if you are keen however, you may be better off demolishing the connie and build a new extension to reg's.

Thank you for your advice.

The conservatory currently has an archway into the kitchen (used and an internal door). I have contacted the local authority who have advised that I just need to give them a plan for the proposed work - apparently to ensure that the correct calculations are done for the load baring wall.

My challenge is to find a a few local reliable builders that are willing to give me a quotation and come and do the work. Can anyone help?

I have contacted the local authority who have advised that I just need to give them a plan for the proposed work - apparently to ensure that the correct calculations are done for the load baring wall.

...and once they see that you have opened up the space into a conservatory, they will want to see your proposals to satisfy part L.

Sponsored Links
As the main man says you need to keep the connie a seperate room ie doors leading to it.
They can always be removed when the bc has checked the work.
If you do not show doors on your plans I am sure bc will request a planning application.

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back