Conservatory to Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking at possibly buying a house which has a conservatory along the complete rear of the property. It currently covers the dining room patio doors and the kitchen windows. and is a slightly lower floor level.

Have been thinking that it might be better to convert/change the conservatory into a "proper" extension of the same size with a tiled roof etc in order that the kitchen could be pushed forward and it could be split into more useable rooms for daily use what ever the weather. I'm sure some would say that you can use a conservatory for every day living... but I hope you get my point.

Don't know much about planning permission, so would like to enquire where it would have been needed for the original conservatory and would I have to apply again if I want to build an extension of the same size?

Anyone have any similar experiences?

Look forward to any comments.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
Give your local building control a ring. They are usually very helpful.

In the past conservatories didn't need planning permission as long as they didn't exceed the maximum permissable floor area of the original house and thats assuming that no other extensions have been added.

It gets quite complicated with extensions as building regs come into it.

Good luck!

yep i would have thought your gona require both Planning + Building Regs approval.

Planning - I presume when you build this extension your gona be pretty much taking the whole existing conservatory down. Therefore when the new extension goes up the council will need to know what it looks like (heights, angle of roof, doors, windows etc) and what materials your gona be using.

Building Regs - As your gona be building a new extension you will need BC approval as per any extension.

My advice...........speak to an architect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back