Extension or conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving to a new house in 2 weeks and the house had everything we needed except a dining room. I am looking for advice on the following. My kitchen faces out into the back garden and has a door leading out into the garden and a window next to it. I have been thinking of building an extension big enough to fit a large dining table and I would remove the back door and window so the kitchen and extension would be more like a larger room or open plan.

My concern about building an extension is that it would ruduce the amount of natural light going into the kitchen so would it be better to build a conservatory instead? If i was to build a conservatory i would have a brick wall on on side so i can mount a tv and have small units below it for glass fridges (for beer and wine) Anyone got any pro's and con's about both ideas?

Also when removing the back door and window would i need to get a structural surveyor in as the door and window are about 300-400mm apart and i would like to remove this if it could be possible, though it would probably involve more money.

what else would i need to know about building regs etc. I would be looking to put a radiator into this area, lighting, sockets for TV etc

all help would be good.

Sponsored Links
Go to your local council and have an informal chat with the building control office (BCO) who ( if he / she is like most ) will be very helpful and well informed about the problems in the area such as ground conditions that may require special foundations.

Talk to the BCO first and take advice and and guidance which will save you from a lot of problems later on.

If you want it open plan, build a proper extension. Otherwise the downstairs of your house will take a hell of a lot of heating and cooling. Some BCOs insist on an outdoor-spec door between a conservatory and the house.

In the extension, consider a roof wondow it you're worried about light. You can still have a vast expanse of glass across the back wall too if you want.

If you go the conservatory route, consider heat pump systems to heat and cool it. They are much more eficient than conventional central heating (3-400%) ;)

Thanks for the info it gives me something to think about as I want it open plan so it sounds like an extension, only do i spend £30,000+ for the missus to have a dinning table !!!!

"If you want it open plan, build a proper extension. Otherwise the downstairs of your house will take a hell of a lot of heating and cooling"

Why is this? Are conservatories more colder in the winter and hotter in the summer? I have been in some and it's been like this.

If I was to build an extension would it be double the price of an conservatory?

Sponsored Links
Would an extension cost more than a conservatory ?

Well that depends on by whom and how they are built.

Last year a small DIY extension with friends and neighbours roped in to help cost about half the price of a "store bought" conservatory of about the same size. The chap that did it said the extra work was well worth it. One point he mentioned was the noise of rain on a conservatory roof ( at his parents house ) makes it un-pleasant to use in bad weather.

I was thinking of building it myself and with the help of friends as I am a joiner to trade and for the past 6 years I have been a draughtsmen, so I could do some joinery work and the drawings. Though my draughtsmen work is manly marine and off shore work so i would need help with building reg's etc.

Was it a difficult task to build the extension yourself? Did you get an architect in to help etc?I know a few brick layers but what other trades would I need help with?

I was thinking it would be easier to get a company in to do it, but if could build an extension myself for the price of a conservatory I think I would try it myself.

I was thinking of building it myself and with the help of friends as I am a joiner to trade and for the past 6 years I have been a draughtsmen, so I could do some joinery work and the drawings. Though my draughtsmen work is manly marine and off shore work so i would need help with building reg's etc.

Was it a difficult task to build the extension yourself? Did you get an architect in to help etc?I know a few brick layers but what other trades would I need help with?

I was thinking it would be easier to get a company in to do it, but if could build an extension myself for the price of a conservatory I think I would try it myself.

The extension compared to conservatory was built by a chap in the village.

I have built an entire house 25 years ago. Timber framed designed by the architect Walter Segal and extended it about 12 years ago.

Doing as much work as you can yourself or by friends does save a great deal of money provided you do it properly. We have a brick chimney which we had a bricklayer to build for us and the battens and slates on roof were also done by paid craftsmen.

Block work you can learn very quickly and as it is hidden the look of it isn't too important provided the strength is there. But the external brick work may be better using a craftsman to get it right first time. Likewise plastering.

You will need plans and calculations of loading for floor beams and roof construction that satisfy the building control officer. So you need to have the services of a architectural person who can do those. And don't skimp on timber sizes, saving a few pounds by using the smallest section of beam may result in a expensive loss as a bouncy floor shakes an expensive item of the table.

I think i will look into this more as i think it can be done.

I have a friend who is a plaster so i rope him in to help, like wise the bricky.

i will make sure the floor beams are strong enough, cheers for the help

I went through the same thought process about 2 years ago. In the end i went for an extension because conservatories can be.
1. Hot in Summer, cold in winter
2. Very loud in the rain
3. I Live in Scotland
4. Do not add the same percentage of build cost as an extension.
5. Never really feel like a part of the house(to me anyway)

1st step was a informal discussion with the planning department at my local council office.
2nd step was to sketch out our requirements for the extension, size,shape,roof shape,doors etc
3rd step have architect do the drawings and run them through his personal council regs filter system.I found the money spent on an architect is SO worth it. They know what can and can't be done in your area and as i am using a fair bit of steel in the build(fancy roof for extra height and minimal wooden truss support) he was also the guy to get the steel calcs done.
4th Submit for planning permission and get on with it!

Also if you are at all green your architect will be able to sort you out properly with insulation spec. Good luck.

Thanks again, i live in Scotland to so i will probably have the same problems with the rain. Sounds like an extension is the way to go.

Could I involve an architect for calcs etc but do the drawings myself?

When all planning permission is complete and the build can start, what timescale do you think it would take to build an extension?

I would be looking to build about 4mx3m internal finishing sizes with a slight angled roof, probably 8ft ceilings. Two brick walls at each end with large windows and double doors at the front going out into the garden and for natural light to come through?

I will probably wait until the summer to start, will i have enough time between now and then to get all the planning permission?

One of the best bits of advice i got was from a planning officer about 4 years ago when i was again having a informal discussion but that time about my loft conversion. I asked him who he would advice me to use as an architect in our area. Very unofficially as he's not meant to he gave me a few names. I contacted the guy who is a one man band out of his own house(F**k paying for someone elses big office rent, right) and he models himsels as a architetural technician on his drawings. He has an excellent rep in my area and has never steered me wrong. I mention this as i have also used the 'big architect firm' as well'another extension 7 years back' and i thought for what i got i was ripped off. For my money its the single bloke with the good rep every time. Yes you could probably do it the way you want to but you might end up with repeated tries at getting your plans passed and as you know time is money. My guy cost just over £1,000 and then for building warrants plus the steel calcs(£500 alone) the whole cost of that side came to £2,000. The added bonus of using someone else is that they are at your call during the build for any queries and that should be in the price quoted, same goes for any changes you make during the build and then submitting for final check by the planning people. Planning permission timescale depends on how busy the area is. At the moment its about 7 weeks in the Grampian area. I am currently waiting on my foundations guy to give me a start date and once ground is broken i expect to be about 7/9 weeks max to be wind and watertight leaving me to floor,insulate,wire,plumb and plasterboard it. Hope this helps, as i say your local planning dept will be a good place to start. I normally go in with an isometric basic line diagram and say 'would this be a goer'? You will want to tell them the size of your garden(assuming its out the back). Show them neighbour overviews into you area, telll them if you are southfacing and if possible let them know of other people in the area who have done something similar. Good luck and you owe me a pint!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back