conservatory regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone give me some info on building/planning permissions. l am thinking about building a small conservatory. l have a dining room at the back of the house with a 6x5 window in place, my intension is to take the window out and put sliding doors there first.Then l would like to build a small conservatory off this,just big enough for a table and 6 chairs.10x8 maybe 12x10.

Sponsored Links
A conservatory is basically a greenhouse fixed to your property normally accesses by an external door. In England it does not fall under building regulations and normally can be covered under permissable development, so unless you have had any other extensions done it wont need planning permission.
I would recommend you look into putting a propper extension on the property as this adds value and costs only a few ££££ more than the conservatory will.

Cannot afford an extension, so this conservatory would be built by my sons and me.l just wondered how many courses of bricks l could go up.Also what depth l would need for the foundation, and is there a limit to how near to my neighbours house l can go. As if l put it so the side of the conservatory wall in line with where the dining room window would have been , it will only be 3 foot away from the neighbours fence.Is this ok,l dont need to have permission fotr this then... one other thing l meant to ask who might be able to answer is thereis a man hole for the drains at the back of the house next to the kitchen window then another just past the dining room, the foundations would cover the run from one drain to another but just miss the man holes.How would l get around this, if l re-direct the run would l need to now, or would you leave it and just do it if you ever had to. :confused:

Drain run shouldnt be affected you will need to located the run before digging and make sure you dont hit it with a spade or digger then simply either sleave the pipe before pouring concrete around it or if its high enough then a couple of conc lintels can be placed over the run and the footings squared off around the pipe.

Normally the type and size of the conservatory will dictate the height of the dwarf wall.

Depending on where you are in the UK, footing depth will probably be about 1m deep and between 450 and 600mm wide if you intend to suspend the floor.

Sponsored Links
sleeve the pipe, not sure what this is static.Also if l dont need to go down that far what is this other method, and would'nt l be up the creek if l had a problem with the waste pipe run when covered and built on..only asking because l dont know.These questions l need to know before l intend doing the work..cheers

A sleeve pipe is a another bigger pipe through the footing protecting the drain pipe inside

speak to your planning office. Although it is normally a permitted development, that can be interpreted by different councils in many different ways. eg area of natural beauty reduces permitted development, a garage built at the time of the house is counted by some councils and not others etc. Worth a call before you start

In addition to Thermo’s advice (my permitted development rights were withdrawn without prior notice as a result of previous works) be aware that a conservatory does not come under BC regulations as long as it’s below 30 sq/m & you have an exterior spec. door between it & the main premises – many fit one (or at least have it lurking around) & take it off after BC have carried out any associated inspections on openings /lintels/services etc.

In addition, if the heating for the conservatory is not self contained, it must be capable of isolation from the main (property) system - not really difficult. Any electrical services you put in there must also comply with BC regs. &, depending on what you do, may necessitate notification to BC &/or installation by an approved ‘person’; it may also need testing & certification!

Speak to your local planning dept.

We put one up last year (Cannock Chase) and the restrictions were under certain volume (something like 60m3), no permanent access into house (i.e. leave all the doors on), no nearer to public highway than existing house and total extensions not more than a percentage of floor area.

Planning sent us a letter saying they did not believe it needed planning permission, to get confirmation that we did not need planning approval we would have had to to put a planning application in. BC not interested as it is a temporary building!

IJWS15 said:
BC not interested as it is a temporary building!

They may not have any interest in the temporary building structure but the new electrical regs still apply to anything you put in it, as they would be in any temporary building!

Conservatories are 'extensions' under planning law, and not temporary buildings.

Conservatories are not 'extensions' under building control unless they exceed certain criteria then they become extensions. They remain defined as 'conservatories', but are not temporary buildings.

AFAIK, building control do not require an apllication for temporary buildings, of short term use, nor do planning - but there are criteria to be met before the building is classed as temporary

Woody

Just reporting what the coucil told me.

Oddly enough BC did not mention Part P but all I am doing is extending existing circuits which, according to their web-site, is not notifiable under Part P.

Extending the ring main to include power in the conservatory does not come under Part P & you are permitted to do this yourself but the work must still comply with the regs. & you would be wise to get it inspected & certified. Make sure you extend the ring circuit & don’t just spur off the back of an existing socket (the regs. allow only one socket on a spur from the main ring) & don’t exceed the maximum recommended number of S/O on the ring. If you intend to spur off for the lighting, this must go through a 3A fused, DP isolating switch. If you’re having u/floor electric heating, take a new radial circuit from the C/U, I would not advise you power it off the ring main & that is notifyable I’m afraid!

what is the recomended number of socket outlets on a ring?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back