Help Fitting A Fireplace - Many questions!! with pics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I knocked out an old 70s brick fireplace and want to replace it with a new surround and gas fireplace. The photos should click for larger ones.

My house was built in the 50s. The previous fire was gas with a grate that stood directly in the fireback.

Obviously I will let Mr Corgi do all the gas stuff, but I don't have much idea on what i need to reconstruct in order to fit the new fireplace.

Some questions i have in no particular order!

1. Do I need to refit the fireback? Do modern gasfires require them? If so what is the best way to do this? Any special materials required ie fireproof cement/fillers??

2. Should i get a smoke test and or get the chimney swept. Is there any way to tell :)

3. What about the "throat" and the flue. The previous fireplace fitter had fashioned (badly) some kind of S shape at the top of the fireplace. Which i assume helps the flow of smoke out of the chimney.

4. When should i call the corgi guy in - You can just see the old gas fitting to the right of the pictures. I would guess he needs to come in pretty much before any other work is done, to repair and route the new pipes, then at the end to tidy and reconnect the new appliance?

5. Any recommendations on fireplace shops ( the wife wants a limestone surround), and best ways to refit the hearth and mantel etc. Are there any "plug and play" models out there?

6. Last one, for now :LOL: , I also need to route some cables across the breach of the fireplace, a TV coax (digital PF100) and a phone cable (for phone/adsl). What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking either increase the small gap between the wall and floor at the base of the fireplace and cement the cables in, or route them completely over the foreplace and chase the walls.

A ton of thanks in advance for any answers :LOL:

Lee :cry:

Sponsored Links
hi there,

If you are using a new gas fire then the chairbrick can normally be left out as it will restrict the amount of inset you can acheive with your new fireplace

ALWAYS run a smoke test, this will give you an indication of how much draw your chimney produces. If the Draw isnt enough to remove the smoke then a liner may be needed.

Sweeping is essential if you dont put a liner in, it will remove the build up of old soot etc which could fall down onto your burner an make a mess of a new installation.

I am presuming that the opening now goes the full depth of the chimney breast, this 'may' need to be reduced according to the fire manufacturers specs, depending on the fire. If the burner is contained within a metal firebox then it should fit straight into the opening providing the flue has enough draw. if not it will require a liner.

yes corgi man in first and last. DO make sure you have the new fire onsite as different fires have different valve positions and this can affect the new gas run placement.

As for cabling, I did this when I last installed my fireplace and rather than go around the chimney breast I drilled through the back edge of the breast using a 35mm bit and put plastic waste pipe in. It doesnt get affected by the heat and can be used again and again(I have 6 cables through it now)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back