Help - freshly shingled roof leaking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Hoping somebody can help me here. :confused:

I shingled my new garage roof in October last year. The place I ordered the shingles from advised that an underlay wasn't 'essential' with a pitch of 24° and unfortunately I penny pinched my way to accepting this advice. :oops: :cry:

23112010B.jpg

13thOct2010C.jpg

13thOct2010B.jpg

I followed the cover guidelines to the letter and laid them very carefully, including sticking down the corners of each tab, but the roof is leaking profusely. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm not 100% sure how the roof is leaking or how the shingles seal - I'm 'guessing' that some capillary action is drawing water up from the top of the slits between the shingle tabs. :confused:

I appreciate that the shingles haven't been subjected to a proper hot day yet and I'm hoping/praying that this might sort it, but it doesn't seem likely to me that the bitumen adhesion strips (lower down the shingle) will prevent water ingress at the top of the tab slit on the shingle above??? :?:

I'm bricking it, because I don't relish pulling 60 M2 (£700) off the roof for the skip and relaying it with a felt underlay. :evil:

Any words of comfort along the lines of "Proper hot/sunny day in June will sort it." :?: :p :cool: Or should I just go get 5hit-faced tonight and rip it all off this weekend? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any help.
smiley20.gif
smiley31.gif

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

Five minutes measuring + two mintues calculating = two hours thinking of an excuse. :oops: It's a while since it was calculated and the ridge height was lowered from the original intention, which was considered as a part way excuse, but I think I've realised why..

It's cos I'm thick as pig 5hit. :rolleyes: I've suspected this for a while, but I'm now convinced. :(

So, going forward, WTF can I do? :?: Obviously I can't change the pitch (it's 14°/24%), is there no option other than re-shingling with an underlay?

Will a hot & sunny day help at all?

- should`ve got a man in :mrgreen: Never mind our advice is free. A yorkshireman penny pinching - Never

Sponsored Links
Who can see it from above? You could one sheet EPDM the whole thing, otherwise it's a whole new pitch.

If you want the tiles you could remove all the tiles, EPDM it first and then refix the tiles on top so no one would know.

:unsure:

Will a hot & sunny day help at all?
Yes, most definately, on sunny days without a source for the rain you are unlikely to get any leaks at all! :LOL:

LOL. :mrgreen: Bet you don't have any enemies, just loads of friends that don't like you. :LOL: ;)

It's very visible from above Matthew, the rear garden is a floor lower than the front of the house and the pic is taken from the dining room. :cry:

And I'm an exiled Geordie stuck in Yorkshire, not my fault I've picked their habits up. :p

No chance that a good baking in June might seal it all up???? :?: :?: :?: :arrow:

I've measured it properly at 13.8° and the shingles are supposed to work from 15°......

Never mind waiting for the sun to be hot enough ;) get up there with a hot air gun - spend a morning and a
£ot of electricity ( or if you`ve got economy 7 do it @ night) and thoroughly warm up / roll with a wallpaper seam roller - as many shingles as you can . Then the next day test your "repaired" area with a hose :idea:

I would be inclined to warm the shingles up and see hat happens.
they dont need much heat to bond... am surprised at 14 degrees..

They certainly do and very well too............

WITH AN UNDERLAY!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Here, here.
When i did mine a few years ago, I read that it's possible to apply another layer over the top at the end of their useful life.
Would it be possible to lay another layer over the top, with an underlay?

Your cheapest option might be to get your local "sympathetic" roofer to "torch on" some 4mm green mineral for you, it won’t look as nice but it will be dry and will work at that pitch.

So, did you get it sorted, did heating it work?

Wow - I'd forgotten about this thread. :D

Thanks for all the suggestions - I took the lazy option and decided to give nature a chance, which seems to have been very successful. :eek: :cool:

I ratcheted the timber deck together while screwing it down and I can't believe how much it's shrunk; the shingles have buckled slightly due to the deck shrinking, but the roof is almost watertight now.

If it survives the prolonged damp assault of winter without leaking much, I'm hopeful that it might seal up 100% if we get a proper session of heat/sunshine next year.:arrow: Even if it doesn't seal up 100%, it's been acceptably dry enough so far this year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back