Help getting door closers back on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some bright spark decided to remove the door closers (see below for an example) from the flat we are due to move out of next week I need some help putting them back on. Problem is that the spring (chain) is so darn tight I was wondering how the pro's do it. Is there a special tool required or is it just a matter of two people and loads of muscle to lever the two sides apart and hold them in place whilst you rescrew to the door and frame?

Cheers

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=1276

Sponsored Links
basill said:
Is there a special tool required
Yes, a thin flat sheet approx' 20mm x 40mm with groove in the middle which slot onto the chain.

A claw hammer will open it out while you put the tool in.

Thx for the reply. Are we talking a "home made" tool here or can I get something from screwfix that will do the job?

Cheers

It usually comes in the packet with the closer , but I have done it with two claw hammers in the past fit the closser into the door use one claw hammer to pull out the chain and then wdge the other onto the chain against the door while you fix the other half to the frame.

Sponsored Links
Some door closers also come with a steel pin to push into the chain once you have spread the plates with the hammer. You can use a panel pin or a suitable nail but it is a risky procedure if you are not careful.

Thanks for the advice. Followed the 2 claw hammer approach although only had long nose pliers to rely on. Was able to jam one into the recess where the chain was protruding from whilst leveraging out a little bit more at a time with the other set of pliers and then screwing the loose bracket up as quick as you can before your hands get tired. Very finnicky job and I recommend not losing the tool that comes with the closer in the first place but the job is at least a goodin now :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back