help -holes in roof trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My builder's apprentice at the start of my refurb project has just drilled 15-18mm holes in my 120mm roof trusses to run electric cables. They are in almost of the trusses. It is making me feel sick to read online that this may mean my whole roof is compromised. What should I do now?

Sponsored Links
It doesn’t mean the trusses are scrap & it depends on the size of the trusses & where the holes are. Just tell your builder to fix his apprentices cock up at his own expense & keep a closer eye on him in the future; & possibly get a new builder. ;)

No engineer needed, Blob the builder just needs to clamp some steel reinforcing plates either side of the joists than need it; if I were you, I would keep a serious eye on him. ;)

Sponsored Links
Why would anyone want to put cable through trusses, when it can just go over the timber?

My builder's apprentice at the start of my refurb project has just drilled 15-18mm holes in my 120mm roof trusses

Why would anyone want to put cable through trusses, when it can just go over the timber?

:idea: 120mm roof trusses suggests to me that they may be attic trusses. :idea:

So why can`t the wires run in the eaves void and then across the roof with the trusses :confused: Would it use so much more wire that the volt. drop would be un acceptable :confused:

But it just makes no sense at all to drill though trusses

As he is an apprentice, you might want to do him a favour and point this out to him

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back