Help - How can I hide my boiler?

Sponsored Links
Funny you should say that - a customer of mine with 2 Atmos boilers and a brace of Honeywell stats has just moved into a place with a new Wooshitter and a Wave controller. I have been asked to go in and remove the Wave because it "doesn't do what its supposed to do".

Chap is in for a shock when he see's the work that's going to be needed to maintain his new POS over the Atmos' we fitted in his old place some 11 years ago. :LOL:

Leave the wave and remove the WB?? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Is the flue in Mike from London's £3500 installation correct apart from being unsightly?
First of all unsightly flue means it complies with minimum clearance dimensions from any openings, so had to be routed away from that door, and it is in a utility room where no one would give a honk, may be you are picking on its slope, it looks level but the inner flue is eccentrically laid to form a slop towards the boiler. So far so good its been going for two years with no problems, no dripping from the flue. The guy was going to put the boiler up on that wall where the flue is existing, but there was going to be problem for condensate drain, and he was suggesting using a condensate pump over the door, and since majority of other plumbing ran on the adjacent wall, therefore he decieded to take this route. The door has since been blocked with a 3/4" thick plywood and stuffed with insulation leaving just the vent exposed. Washing machine sits in front of that door now.

So if you know what is wrong with that flue other than the slope, spell it our in the name of safety, I can point that to the installer what he think of your comments?
May be he will say I should not worry! I haven't got the picture of the flue terminal, but it is also offset pointing upwards.
He will be soon conducting a safety check in April, I could ask him to check slop and the inner condition of the flue making sure there are no standing pool of condensate that may cause corrosion, if he does not bother, I will send in a small camera for my own piece of mind.

Last edited:
And of course there's nothing wrong with this one?

img_20150419_142628-jpg.115169

Sponsored Links
Ryan ( OP ) if you are still around.

It would be nice to see the flue from the outside please!

Tony

Who said there was nothing wrong with that installation, couple of things, one being overflow PRV tied up to condensate drain, even I can tell despite not being an RGI, but why should I lose my sleep over it since the guy who did the installation and parted with my money should know better and any consequences arising out of PRV tripping will be down to him. I am sure it won't be a jet of boiling hot water shooting out a stream a mile long, at best it may just dribble a few drops, nothing to worry about and don't get paranoid. My pressure cooker is what i am more scared off than this PRV tripping off. And no one is going to die if condensate trap dries up due to this PRV discharge pushing its contents back into the boiler, gravity will soon pull it back in and no one has died of this. secondly the tee section in the drain is pointing wrong way to flow, again hardly an issue, not that it is going to be the end of the world.

(I have reported your post for unnecessary insulting me and calling me idiot)

This post was not about safety of gas CH installation, it was about unsightly work and how to cover it up, so truly who is an idiot?

Last edited:
MFL, I'm only a humble DIY'er and I wasn't saying that your flue was wrong, just that it didn't look that good and inviting comment.

MFL, I'm only a humble DIY'er and I wasn't saying that your flue was wrong, just that it didn't look that good and inviting comment.

Mike has his own ideas. He knows better than all the people who are involved in the design, approval and authoring of new boilers, their manuals and the standards on which they are based.

Wonder if he managed to cobble together some uprated flue seals.... Heaven forbid they deteriorate over time.

But then fortunate often favours the [edited by some mod or other].

A few drops? I'd hardly call the content of the heating system at 120c and 3 bar a few drops. That's like running your electric install without an earth and saying well it's only a few volts for filters in switch mode power supplies.

Nor the unnecessary junction box on the wall tiles. That's terrible. It all is.
I agree. The flow and return pipes near the ceiling should have bent offsets, not elbows. He has intertwined the cable amongst the hot pipes as well.

when I go to get parts I ask whose parts are you selling most of ?? It helps to identify whose boilers break down the most. Worcester are usually at the top of the list.
A good ploy. But use some common sense. They may sell say WB parts a lot because many may be fitted in the area. Many housing estates with hundred of boilers may all be the same maker.

Last edited:
Dave, I have absolutely no problem with your comments, it is good you made me aware as well, and I did not even raise an eyebrow over that flue slope, photo may be deceiving, but next time I am around Harlow, I will take my spirt level and check, if the installers did not provide enough slope, then they better redo it, I just hope they will acknowledge their error and put it right at no expense to me. I will speak to the company who did that installation, they are based in Harlow, You made constructive remarks, there is absolutely no need for anyone else to use inflamed language and leave nasty comments. Some people are so arrogant.

A few drops? I'd hardly call the content of the heating system at 120c and 3 bar a few drops. That's like running your electric install without an earth and saying well it's only a few volts for filters in switch mode power supplies.

How often is that likely to happen John? may be once in a blue moon and only to a boiler that has been neglected of any service, or timely repairs, or where safety overheat sensors malfunction this boiler was installed back in 2014 April, and has been running fine since , not even requiring topping up, it has been checked regularly by the same company who also issues me yearly landlords safety record, any issues arising out of this will be down to them. I only tidied up the water pipes (hot and cold feeds that ran along the bottom and rerouted to where the washing machine is now sited.

If a boiler is in a state where things have gone so badly wrong to the extend that it is overheating (very unlikely as overheat temp cut outs everything and kick in around 100C) well before the pressure reaches 3bars, and if PRV discharges pressure into condensate drain, what difference would that make to a boiler that needs serious attention in the first place. TBH I am perfectly happy with the way installer did that arrangement and rather him not drill any holes discharging high pressure boiling hot water into the vicinity of garden, children could be playing nearby, even if it points downwards, if assuming you are right a sudden discharge of boiling hot water at 3 bars would cause serious burn to children playing near by if the water strikes the garden paving slabs and bounces off it.
You can look from your point of view, i can look from my point of view.
(PS, my own 24 years old boiler has never discharged any boiling hot water from its PRV, unless I overfilled it, or if EV had an internal leak, still hot water never gushes out of it! )

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back