Help! How to hang cupboard on plaster board where heating pipes run up stud??

Long story short Opps, I've just had these fittings fail.

I priced to contractor on new build penthouses, in my terms I put "all stud walls that receive shelving to be ply lined". They didn't, I moaned, they didn't care, I used the fixings mentioned. Customer loaded shelves with plants, the whole lot came crashing down, damaged worktop, damaged floor.

I get the blame, until I refer them back to my T&C's and subsequent conversations. I can't do my job professionally if they don't do their job professionally.

I don't trust them for wall units either.

Did they burst through the plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
They did.

Out of interest, were they the 4mm or larger.

I have used both the 4mm and 5mm Fischer ones. I am less impressed by the 4mm ones. I have had a few where tightening the screw (after using the setting tool) striped the internal threads.

Job done!

I used Diall M5 x 80mm spring toggles.

I hung the lower one with three toggles along the back and one through the side wall. And when I took the supports away... it didn't fall down! Hooray. So far so good - it could support its own weight of 15Kg.

So then I took the second one and laid it on top of the first one, as that was where I was installing it. And it still didn't fall down! Hooray again!

I was glad to have steel toe-caps :) and even more glad that they didn't get tested :)

So now, with both secured to the wall and secured to each other, I know that between them they can take 30Kg in addition to their own weight, at least. That's quite a lot of pots and pans.

How much weight the plasterboard will take before it comes away from the studs, I have no idea. But given that the units are fixed to the back wall and the side wall, the board/stud fixings would have to fail in shear since the forces won't be moving the boards and studs away from each other. At a complete guess, I reckon it's good for 80Kg or so.

Cheers guys, advice and input much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Out of interest, were they the 4mm or larger.

I have used both the 4mm and 5mm Fischer ones. I am less impressed by the 4mm ones. I have had a few where tightening the screw (after using the setting tool) striped the internal threads.
I'm not sure now.

I think the force applied when using them for shelving is different to the force when using for wall units.

Wall units are a vertical downwards force, whereas shelving is outward force, I think the bracket pushed through the plasterboard weakening it and causing the cavity fixing to rip through the plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back