help i cant get my pilot light on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we moved house in feb this year and the boiler in the property is very old (i done even know what make it is.

the pilot light has gone out and i cant find any switch or anything to fire it back up?

Can anybody help??? I have no manuals and its bloody cold

the only thing i have on the front of the boiler is netaheat profile 40 if that helps. it has no cover on the bottom part so has no name

Sponsored Links
think there potterton but never worked on it. defo had pilot before?? i think some where electronic ignition

It doesn't have a pilot, it lights itself.
The grey knob. poking forwards bottom right is probably broken, but if not, turn it clockwise. If the knob is useless, you may have to grip the shaft with something like pliers.

I assume you've found the programmer/timer and it's got power and it's set to go.
Underneath the boiler through what would have been a hole, if the bottom had been there, your finger would have been able to press an overheat reset button. It's terracotta colour with a small cross on the button. If the button is loose, it hasn't overheated so it's not that.

Check the gas is on - is there a hob?

i think u have to turn the appliance off wait 15-20 seconds and then re-ignite using the grey knob as mentioned above.

Sponsored Links
It's too old to be that sophisticated, Jay - but too new for a thermocouple!

That overheat button is above the red cap:
14584850bq9.gif

hi,

Thanks for your help.it looks exactly like that pic. Had somebody look at it and has said the circuit board has gone which is why it isnt firing up.

Has recommended that we got it replaced with a combi boiler.

Would cost us about £150-200 to get the circuit board replaced but said it wont be guaranteed not to break down with something else.

Not sure what to so with it. Wont be able to get it fixed until the 22nd dec so a stay with the future mother in law looks inevitable. At least it will be warm though

sorry but you've had a cowboy in...£200 to change a board bg dont even charge that. the boards only £60 ...if it is that. get a pro in and itll be bixed by thursday.

Get another properly registered CORGI person in.

Insist on seeing their Corgi card.
check the number on it gives the same details as here.
Ring the contact number you get from the Corgi site to confirm your talking to the same person.

Better to be cold for a bit than be ripped off, you will always think the worst of your boiler if you are & not trust it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back