Help identifying floor covering please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I am currently renovating my first house and made an exciting discovery today, Victorian tiles hiddden under a floor covering in my hallway and back room. Obviously I feel like I have won the lottery and am eager to expose them. Would anyone have any ideas about what the floor covering over them is? It is black, about 2-3cm thick and looks like it was used as a leveler. It is very strong but can crack under a hammer. My concerns are that it might be something which contains asbestos, although I havent found anything online which suggests so. I was hoping someone might have some advice or experience they could share with me.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It looks to me a composite floor which was put down like a screed but was also a damp course, you will need to see if there is a damp course under the tiles, great find
;)

Its a type of asphalt used as a damp proofing. If you remove it you will be subject to damp rising through the tiles which were probly played just onto a compacted earth type subfloor.

Olias

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back