Help identifying MCB (*Pics Added*)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Square D consumer unit and need to upgrade one of the MCB’s to a 40 for a 9.5KW shower.
On the MCB’s they have written Type 2, M6. Please can someone tell me what I need to be looking for as I can’t turn anything up by googling it. Is there a suitable alternative or where can I get one from?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a BS3871 MCB, the M6 indicating that it rated to 6000A short circuit current (this is not the overload current). These have been superceeded by the BS60898 (Type B, C & D).

Without knowing its rating and the size/length of cable you are using/ plan to use for your shower and the cable route & installation method then it isn't possible to say what to use instead.

I would have thought you would need a 45 amp MCB for 9.5KW.

fido said:
I would have thought you would need a 45 amp MCB for 9.5KW.
Agree; 9500/230 = 41.3A, the nearest up is 45A MCB and you must make sure that the cable can carry this load (considering all factors)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.
The cable to the shower is 10mm, approx 9m in length and is currently on a 32 MCB (worked fine on the old less powerful shower). The Cable and current 32 MCB only serve the shower.

so you are going to need a 45A or 50A fuse or breaker to fit your board.

the question is where to get one that will fit.

any chance of a photo of the board with the cover off?

Cheers guys,
Here is my unit.
Consumer-Unit.jpg

I have none of them, and am fairly sure you will struggle to source one :cry:

Try Ebay ;)

the easiest option is probablly to use a henly block in the tails and a seperate shower CU

So is there no alternative that will fit?:rolleyes:

With regards to the shower CU and henly block what sort of cost would you say?

You would want a type B, which is the general purpose one, type C is motor rated for things that have big motors in them and take huge startup currents for a short time

Edit: look at the bottom of it, where it connects to the busbar looks different from your existing ones

Thanks so B type it is.
I have taken my MCB out, here is a pic:
mcb2.jpg

They look about the same too me, can anyone please tell me different.

Thanks

Adam: it looks to me that the busbar connections are at the top and the cable connections at the bottom in that CU

Davies: i can't see any differences in parts of those breakers that would affect the fit and its the same brand so it will almost certainly be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back