Help in deciding between 160 v 200 litre hot water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, apologies in advance for asking a question that may have been answered somewhere else (although I have search this forum and not found the answer).

I currently have a standard foam insulated 900mm x 450mm hot water cylinder (approx 5-7yrs old), and a potterton Kingfisher MF 60,000 BTU floor-standing boiler (about 5 yrs old). Since replacing our wall mounted power shower last year with a new Mira Wall mounted power shower, we find that in the winter there is not enough hot water for more than 8-10 mins of showering. In the summer it is ok, as (I presume) the temperature of the cold water is higher than in the winter. We have this problem whether we have the boiler on for 1hr or 3hrs, so I doubt its a case of the hot water not being fully heated prior to use, as the water is hot.

As the boiler is fine, the hot water tank isn’t loosing too much heat and as the flow/pressure on the power shower is set to minimum, I can only assume that it is down to the size of the hot water tank? – Could it be anything else? :confused:

At the moment, there are only two of us in our 3-bed semi. The radiators all heat up fine (they were replaced last year). The solution therefore seems to be to increase the size of the hot water tank, either to a 160litre or 200 litre tank, as we plan to raise a family in this house. Can anyone provide any advice on what the difference is in re-heat times are for a 160litre or 200 litre tank? Also is there a risk that my current 60,000 btu boiler would be overworked / underpowered to heat a 200 litre tank? I couldn’t find anywhere to explain if a 60000 btu boiler would be sufficient and how long it would take to heat 200 litre tank.

Finally, are there any recommendations on insulated (grade 3) copper hot water cylinder brands? I am trying to find one with a high quality heat coil to help reduce heat and re-heat times. I see that Albion and Range are relatively popular (my price range is up to about £300 - £350 max) – but both are made by kingspan.

I think I am leaning towards the Range cylinders, but just wanted some advice on what the most reliable brands were (in case I have missed any) and thoughts on Albion and Range. Oh and I forgot to mention, I think all input pipes are 15mm, and cold water tank is being replaced from 25 gallon to 50 gallon as well.

Finally is there anything else im missing? :confused:

Thanks again in advance for everyone’s input – its much appreciated. :D

Sponsored Links
Hi - can anyone help me on this please? I need to get the tank changed pretty soon. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back