Help in re-wiring a long 350m outdoor run

[Just to get back to the OP - Bob you can see that from the 'debate' there is some significant variance in the size of the cable needed to accommodate your desire to provide power to the shed.
Clearly your 3 core 1.5mm SWA is not okay and something in the range of 16/32mm cable would be required.
Indeed. The calculations I've just posted indicate that buried 2-core 16mm² SWA would seemingly be OK for 13A of power, but not for lighting. To get acceptable voltage drop for lighting at 13A total load, the op would probably need 25mm². As I wrote yesterday, this means that a good few hundred pounds could be saved by having, say, (car) battery operated lighting.

However, I agree that a generator would seem to be a (much cheaper) option to be seriously considered.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Personally, I find the distinction made in the 17th edition between 3% for lighting and 5% for everything else to be odd, to say the least.

I'd be more concerned with the voltage drop caused by heavy starting currents of big motors over that distance than about the different requirements for lighting in the 17th edition. The switch-on surge for the motor in something like a big compressor or other heavy-duty power tool is not inconsiderable.

Sponsored Links
Personally, I find the distinction made in the 17th edition between 3% for lighting and 5% for everything else to be odd, to say the least.
Indeed. We discussed that here recently and,as you say, it does seem very odd. Some people seemed to think that some 'modern' lighting may be particularly sensisve to undervoltage, but I'm not sure I'm convinced that they're any more sensistive than a lot of non-lighting loads. With good-old incandescent lighting, of course, the worst that can happen is that it gets a bit darker (and the life of lamps may be affected)!

Kind Regards, John.

Indeed. We discussed that here recently and,as you say, it does seem very odd. Some people seemed to think that some 'modern' lighting may be particularly sensisve to undervoltage, but I'm not sure I'm convinced that they're any more sensistive than a lot of non-lighting loads.

And the salesmen from the voltage optimisation companies will tell you that electronic control gear is not affected by reducing the voltage to 220v..........

The most extreme case possible is when the design current, Ib, is zero.
More pointless waffling nonsense.
Try to understand. I was demonstrating something which should be of interest/use to some people here (even if not you) - namely the limit of how much temperature-related reduction in voltage drop one can achieve by generous cable sizing. I suppose not everyone can understand the use of limiting situations to investigate such issues, but I would hope that it's a lot more potentially useful than references to witches'body parts.

Kind Regards, John.

Actually at 20°C, assuming a resistive load, your 350m of 16mm² will drop 10V.

You have to use the correct tables, I'll give you the correct information,

@ 20°C and a 3kw load, 350m of 16mm² will drop 10.4654 volts
At 216.2V your resistive load is no longer the 3kW it was at 230V.

It draws less current, and therefore it drops less voltage.

....ESQCR say my supply voltage could be -6% of 230v = 216.2 volts.

So in the former I'm not allowed a lighting circuit at 232, but in the latter my lighting circuit could be at 216.2v - 6.9v = 209.3v and it complies.
Actually at 20°C, assuming a resistive load, your 350m of 16mm² will drop 10V.

Indeed. We discussed that here recently and,as you say, it does seem very odd. Some people seemed to think that some 'modern' lighting may be particularly sensisve to undervoltage, but I'm not sure I'm convinced that they're any more sensistive than a lot of non-lighting loads.

Nor I. Either way, the present voltage-drop allowance is more lax than it was in the past. The 14th edition specified no more than 2.5% of the declared nominal voltage, and the 13th edition before it specified 1 volt plus 2% of nominal voltage, which for all practical purposes is the same (it's actually identical at 200V, and only a 0.25V difference at 250V). The 13th edition did have an exception for motors, however, allowing up to 7.5% under full-load conditions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back