Help installing a new master telephone socket!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am trying to install a new master telephone socket in my flat and having some difficulties to say the least!

The box thing was loose on the wall and someone kicked it when walking past and since then it hasn’t worked. I tried taking it off and having a little fiddle with the old box but that doesn't work.

I've tried buying a new “master” socket box and installing that but that doesn't seem to work either.

I have tried different phones and they are not working.

I have called BT and asked to check the line, they have done and its working apparently. I can get a BT guy out but they are going to charge me £100+ if its not a fault with there side of things (to and maybe including the socket box I think).

The wires which I have are not the standard ones as I seem to find on various websites I've looked at. I have 4 wires, all just a solid colour. They are green, blue, orange and a brown (maroonish) colour. I live in a flat which was built in the 60's I think so that probably explains the prehistoric wiring.

The wires I have are just one colour not red and white, green and white etc like people mention websites.

Ideally one of you guys (or gals) could help me try and fix the problem before BT come out and bankrupt me.

The original socket was like this one:
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/LJU2_1A_rear.jpg

Any help ideas would be good!

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Sponsored Links
usually on old type wiring the blue and orange wires carried the incoming line voltage.Try connecting these to terminals 2 and 5 in the line box.The line jack that you have is now out of date and Bt should supply yuo with an NTE5 free of charge.

Hi

Just give them a call tell them listen, my main phone box isnt the nte5 version its quite old. As Im not allowed to touch my master socket how do i sort this without being charged, if they dont budge then just say alright just send someone round, when they come round just say yeh the customer service agent said as I dont have an nte5 master socket you would replace it free of charge. If the wires arnt in just say i took it out to make it quicker for you.

If hes a nice guy he should just fix it without any problems, if not maybe just say ill give u something for your time

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back