HELP! Is this the correct way to wire security lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I would like to wire 3 x 150 watt PIR Security lights on the outside of my house to make my wife feel more secure when im working nights.

I intend to wire the lights into the existing lighting circut via a fused spur and a junction box in the loft.

I have included a diagram of how I would like to do this but could you please let me know if this is the correct and safest way to instal them?

Sponsored Links
The wiring is okay - your junction box must be accessible - not sure about putting the FCU in the loft - it looks like a Switched FCU so how are you or your wife going to turn the lights on or off?

Are you going to introduce a PIR into this circuit?

You will need to heed the Local Authority requirements regarding control of pollution (Lights in your case).
They all seem to have different views on the requirements regarding lamp strength, light timings (use of PIR's etc) so it might be worthwhile asking them before fitting starts.

You should also read this:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

I would consider introducing a PIR into the circuit.

It's not necessary to fuse down, since your lighting circuit should already have a fuse or MCB protecting the cable (usually 6A for 1mm² cable, but yours may differ).

I do think it's a good idea to have double pole switching for outside lights though just in case water ingress causes an RCD-tripping fault, so they can be isolated. A switched FCU would provide this, but so would a 20A DP switch.

Sponsored Links
All the lights have in built PIR's and I will be using them in auto so they will only trigger when there is movement. I was putting the Fused Spur in the loft as I will have no need to overide them on a regular basis, but i do have easy access to my loft via a loft ladder if need be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back