help ive made a silicone sealant shambles

If you understood the first thing about convection, then you would be spouting the balls that you are currently.

Sponsored Links
Plastics don't expand worth a damn - certainly not enough to warrant filling a bath with warm water while you seal it. Worry about the weight in the bath rather than the temperature of the water.

OK , but big baths expand ..., in my training I was 70s , lol, warm water ...every million bathroom suites *I " done ... bang on never failed

FACT ,,,warm water in tubs

Sponsored Links
I fit bathrooms and I never use hot water to fill the bath before sealing - never had a complaint about a silicone seal yet.

silicone moves anyhoo therefore any slight expansion of a plastic bath should not make the silicone split.

Unless you have had the bath fitted incorrectly and it likes to move of its on accord which it shouldn't.

If you are really that worried then pull a long hair out of your head or anyone else who is in the house, place hair across gap to be silicone filled, place a dot of superglue on each end, then sit in bath and see if hair breaks. Or if your really paranoid get two people to sit in the bath.

Moogie x

eh?, the whole point of filling the bath is so that the silicone is not under tension when the bath is filled.

can I nail this in the head now , I was taught City an Guilds , warm water in a bath expansion , It was the 80s ...

with all due respect since that day EVERY BATH WAS SEALED !!!!!!! ;)

OMG !

Obviously Tin baths , cold full fill......

Eddie M
baths are a fixed point an the expansion should be less than 3 mm, good sealeant , accomodates this ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back