Help me convince Dad that new Vaillant boiler is not faulty.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My elderly parents have had a Vaillant ecoTEC Pro 28 boiler installed to replace one that was 40 years old. My dad is convinced it is faulty because he hears it operating when he thinks he shouldn't. He has called engineers out twice and they have explained that it's not faulty and that is just how it works. But because he gets confused easily and has trouble remembering things he still thinks it's faulty.

Is there some documentation that I can print out for him that explains how it works and why it operates at seemingly random times?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It'll be in the manufacturers instructions. You should be able to download them from their website. It is common for boilers to have an anti sieze feature which runs the boiler at odd times.
If there is a DHW preheat feature I advise you to turn it off as these only waste fuel on the assumption that you will need some hot water soon but dont allow for the fact that you wont usually need any at 3am.
It might be a benefit for peak usage times but then turn it off.

If it's the preheat kicking in for hw then turn the hw dial fully anti clockwise then back to where you want it set. This will turn off preheat.

My Vaillant boiler also does this at a seemingly-random time each night -like 2.30am. It sou ds exactly like it about to fire up for 5-10 seconds but it's just the pump running it's anti-sieze thing.

Sponsored Links
It's nothing to do with any anti seize!! It's the Vaillant warmstart do what pablo said in previous post an turn it off

I don't think you CAN get instructions from the V site these days, you have to ask them :rolleyes:

Most anti seize programmes only kick in if the boiler has not operated in the previous 24 hours, so 99.9% its the preheat, which is overhyped as a feature IMHO.

The cottage next door is a holiday cottage with combi in outhouse. That was kicking in and out 24/7 in the cold weather last winter on the frost stat.

Alfredo

Instructions should have been left with the customer, this is part of the commissioning. I also vote for it being the preheat, we fit Vaillants and I always switch it off and explain how to turn it on and that it will run through the night.

Get it on a Brit. Gas contract - They can afford to come out :idea: Can your dad get to/ see the meter :?: Get him to keep a log of the consumption then he will see it`s not running away with his pension £ - Seriously, I looked after both mine and wife`s Aged Parents in our home . You just need to think laterally to solve these problems ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back