HELP! Mortar under water, will it set?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started laying the first couple of rows of blocks yesterday up to DPC. Overnight, the trench flooded meaning that the first row of blocks and the mortar was underwater. I have pumped it out this morning to carry on but the mortar is very soft, will this be ok? Even the next row of blocks that have soaked up the water is soft. I am carrying on today but water is still draining into the trench so i am regularly pumping it out to allow me to work but is this all a waste of time? I have used 5 snd to 1 mastercrete with plasticiser. Any urgent advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Happens all the time on site. OPC goes off underwater.
BTW NHBC guidance below DPC is 3.5/1 sand/OPC and Plaz.

You should be doing 3:1 for foundation work

Mortar will set underwater if strong enough and if "gone off" before it gets submerged so as the joints don't get washed out or kept soft so that the weight of the wall squeezes the mortar out

Thanks guys. Looks like I shouldn't worry too much. Should I change to 1:3 for the rest or will producing a strong section of wall and a weak section be a bad idea.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back