HELP!!! my gainsborough 9.5 sc shower has no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gainsborough 9.5 sc electric shower has no hot water coming out of it,the shower is perferctly fine there is no elcetrical damage & the pump still works as normal (goes down when the shower is on) but the water wont get warm can anyone help?????

Sponsored Links
What type of shower is it? I did quick look and it seems like an electrical heated type but they would not have a pump. The answer would depend on type. And how do you know there is no electrical damage?

The shower just says gainsborough 9.5 sc electric shower,ive took the front off there seems tobe no damaged cables and its only been in 7 mth but ive had the shower 3yr! It still turns off and on and the pressure is fine,between the black electric box and the pole theres a ball which goes up and down it seems tobe working

You'd need a multimeter to find the exact problem, but given the complexity of some showers, its too complex for us to talk through.

Please call an electrician, or seek a replacement shower, same rating (may be cheaper).

A year is quite a short life for an electric shower, but its not unheard of. I've had mine about 6 years now, used 2-3 times a day. We've been lucky I guess.

Just try something for my own curiosity: Turn both the "heat settings" right to their max, the water will barely trickle out, see if its vaguely warm. If it is, an element is shot. Theres 2, sealed into the boiler. You'd need a new boiler (the big copper bit), cheaper to get a new shower.

Sponsored Links
Some Gainsborough cans are plastic, believe it or not!!

I now refuse to fit Gainsborough showers- over 80% of the showers I have wired were faulty (not electrical I hasten to add).

Stopped fitting them 2-3 years ago.

What shower do you recomend? I dont want to spend more than £60 and is it difficult to change shower?

Mira are quite good (not £60.00 though

Triton are better value at £60-£100 approx

both have 2 year guarantees

IIRC don't most gainsborough's let the water through even if there is no power?

Have you checked that there is power to it?

Does the neon on the pull cord light up?

Yeah the pull cord lite still comes on.
If this helps,yesterday I put the shower on whilst the washing machine was on didnt realise,and thd showes made a really loud schreechin noise went mega hot then went back to normal,then I tried the shower again and I dont work

It seems that the washing machine draw off might have reduced shower feed pressure so much, that the safety cut out device inside the shower box has operated to turn off power to the elements perhaps?.. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back