Help - my new joists arent level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to my earlier post re chip board, plywood or boards - I'm going to
use moisture resistant green board. But I've now spotted that the new joists arent level -there is a variation of 1 cm between some of them.

can anyone advise if this is acceptable or should I be shouting at the damp proofing company that fitted them

Sponsored Links
They should have laid a straight edge timber across them to see that they all sat properly. One cm is far to far out to be any use. Get them back.

joe

Yes, get them back - and make sure they leave the boomerang level at home this time! If the joists rest on a brick course or brick piers they may choose just to repack under them with something like slate. Check that they have a DPC beneath all the joists where they rest on masonry (just to be on the safe side!)

Scrit

Sponsored Links
The timbers were probably bowed when they installed them. A 5mm bow in the wood gives 10mm between them if they are laid one up and one down. They may just have to turn some of them upside down so they are all bowed upwards towards the ceiling. Once you have the flooring and furniture in the room they will then flatten out under the weight.

sxhall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back