Help need - first house! Leak!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved into my new house about 4 months ago and have just noticed that there is a leak behind the kitchen cupboard.

The dishwasher is next to this cupboard so I presume it is coming from there and will get someone to have a look at it.

However, the floor is obviously very wet now and the wood under the cupboard has swelled up and is starting to rot. Also, one or two tiles on the kitchen floor have started to raise.

Is this all related and if so what do I need to do once the leak is fixed?

Any advice will be grateful!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fix the leak first.. allow the area to dry out.. if it stays wet then you have another leak/damp problem.. sort that then make it look pretty again :)

Sponsored Links
Get the leak fixed, could be something simple like the hose connectors not tight enough or the compression joint needs nipping up.
Then let the area dry, if it's the floorboards that are rotten replace them.

Remove dishwasher & washing machine and check for leaks on the valves, this is where they normally leak.
Once you have fixed the leak, place a fan on floor level (desk top fan will do) leave this on for a couple of days rotating on the damp area. It will dry very quickly. Once its all dry, check and see what damage has been done. If possible load some pictures up.

Andy

May be worth looking at your house insurance policy if there is significant damage to floor and cabinets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back