Help needed on part old to new wiring situation ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Im just after some advice here,
The position im in at the moment is I want a new consumer unit fitted (17th ed). I had the spark round yesterday to have a look he said he cant replace the C/U while the old black cable to the ring main is there .I have the old style black cable coming from the current C/U, Last year whilst I was decorating a couple of the rooms I did replace most of the old style wiring with new type. Unfortunately I didnt replace the one which is the start of the circuit to the first double socket as it was behind new wallpaper and skirting.
I still can access the wire from beneath the socket from under the floorboards .
The question is can I cut the cable from just beneath the skirting board take away the old cable and using ratchet and crimps connect the new wire to the old wire feeding the first double socket(which is a short length and innaccesible) and go straight to the C/U .
I know this is not ideal but is it ok?

Any help/ advice is appreciated

Steve

Sponsored Links
The short answer is no.
You need all the cable replacing, which means renewing the cable from the CU to the first socket if that is the last of the remaining old cable.
I would have thought you would have discussed this with your electrician with a view to him doing it as he is going to be responsible for the state of all the wiring.

Thanks Luminaire,
I was kind of thinking that would be the case,
I was unable to discuss this through with the spark at the time as I was away working and hadnt thought about joining up the 2 cables whilst being on the phone to him,
Anothe Q So if I leave having a new C/U what will happen in say 2 years when it comes to selling the house will I have to rip out this piece of cable to allow a certificate to be passed?

Cheers

Anothe Q So if I leave having a new C/U what will happen in say 2 years when it comes to selling the house will I have to rip out this piece of cable to allow a certificate to be passed?

You will no doubt have to have a PIR done on your wiring, which will then highlight the problem and your prospective buyers will undoubtedly demand you put it right before buying the property.

That is assuming it hasn't deteriorated beforehand causing a fire which your insurers won't entertain because your wiring doesn't comply with the IEE regulations!

Sponsored Links
the old black rubber cable will prob have a low insulations resistance which will show up on a PIR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back