help needed re new light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am replacing a ceiling light fitting, frrm the ceiling i have an earth wire as well as 2 grey wires, each with a red and a black wire ....on the new light fitting i have 3 connectors, 1 x live, earth & neutral, i know where to put the earth but what do i do with the red and black wires as i have 2 of each ?????????

Sponsored Links
i am replacing a ceiling light fitting, frrm the ceiling i have an earth wire as well as 2 grey wires, each with a red and a black wire ....on the new light fitting i have 3 connectors, 1 x live, earth & neutral, i know where to put the earth but what do i do with the red and black wires as i have 2 of each ?????????

Have a read of this and then come back if you have any further questions.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:rose

The red wires go together into a connector block that does not connect to the fitting. The black wires are the neutral and switchline (live) to the fitting.

Unless there is more than one light and it is just connected as a parallel circuit......

Sponsored Links
The red wires go together into a connector block that does not connect to the fitting. The black wires are the neutral and switchline (live) to the fitting.

so no red wires connect to the light fitting at all ??

i connect one black to the live and one to the neutral on the light fitting ??

NO NO NO.... only if you know which black wire is the switched live.....

ok, silly question but how do i check that ????

you should have taken more notice of what went to where before you took it apart.

you should have taken more notice of what went to where before you took it apart.

yeah thanks for the sarcasm !!!
as it happens i'm not the one who took the old light fitting down !!!!!!

One of the black wires should have (might have) a red sleeve on it - this would indicate it is the switch live and this one goes in the live terminal on your light.

One of the black wires should have (might have) a red sleeve on it - this would indicate it is the switch live and this one goes in the live terminal on your light.

not at home at the minute , but dont recall either back wire having a red sleeve...

not at home at the minute , but dont recall either back wire having a red sleeve...

For most light fittings you can put the switch wire in either L or N but the manufacturer would not normally bother putting L & N markers on the terminal block.

But my concern is that in your case they have.

What type of lighting are you fitting - does it have a transformer or is it an edison bulb (screw in type)? A picture or a link would help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back