help needed settling my nerves re my concrete floor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Have 2 cubic meters of ready mix concrete coming on tuesday. This is to replace earth floor in the rear living room at home.

Have dug out floor. Sorted hardcore,sand,DPM and insulation, so ready to go. I'm happy that I have ordered the correct amount.

Now, a little knowledge is a bad thing, the more advice I get off people and the net, the more I'm beginning to worry. I'd ring the cement firm for the advice, but its Sunday. :confused:

I'm screwing batons to the wall on each side of the room and using a length of wood as a jig between to baton down.

My main worry is the offloading. I have been let down! by my unemployed brother getting a new job which starts on Monday so there will only be three of us. I know the best way is to level off as you go along but the truck will only stay for a short while. Is it possible just to fill the hole and then wade through and level off when full?

2 cubic meters is about 40 barrowloads, is this right?

How long will the mix be workable?

any other advice would be useful.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
be prepared for a lot of mauling. it will stay workable for about an hour or so, but without a mixer turning it, the concrete will start to firm up pretty quick. we have had to use a pick to break it up and in the past!

ask the driver to load the barrows for as long as possible, £20 in his hip pocket may persuade him to stay a little longer.

once in the room you should be able to wade through, in your wellies and tamp level. tamp it as smooth as you possibly can, leaving as few ridges as possible. you will be able to stand on the concrete several hours later and be able to poly float and steel float to a reasonable standard, though this is hard work.

power floats are available but i wouldn't recommend one for an amateur.

have a hose pipe handy at all times.

if you intend laying a screed later on then a rough tamping will do.

cheers Noseall.

just to clarify, do you suggest we offload it all and fill the hole then start tamping it?
Will it self level to any degree?

the three of you will start barrowing, then when you have it about half filled, one of the gang will have to start levelling and tamping.

bl***y hard work.

Sponsored Links
ringer said:
Will it self level to any degree?

if you had a chute or a concrete pump then you would be able to ask the driver to wet it up a bit, so it would be easier to level.

if your barrowing then i'm afraid, unless you want it all over the place, you will have to have it a little firmer.

cheers again,
Your calming my nerves.
As you suggest having a hose at hand, I assume your advising that we keep wetting it down!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back