Help needed to cost a garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to plan a new L shaped garage built using "permitted development". I have started to price out a Timber Frame garage and managed to totally underestimate the ground-works, now I seem to be underestimating the roof, hence this thread for help.

The garage looks something like this, each L is 13.8 meters long and the roof is 4 meters high, I estimate the roof to be approx. 150 sq meters:-
Lshapedgarage_Page_1_zpse3bbd6b5.jpg

Major apologies for the drawing as sketch up seems to have it's way with me, the roof should be a simple L.

Now the house is tiled in Rosemary tiles, to match the house using 60 tiles/sq meter I will need approximately 9000 tiles, looking locally they can be had for £0.2 ea which will mean £1776.00

However I have no idea what the labour charge would be to put this many tiles up? Also I guess that I have to put up a membrane and battens?

Alternatively there is a product called VIEOZINC which is zinc coated aluminium http://www.vieoroof.com/materials-colours.aspx

This is more expensive at approx. £20/sq meter (£3000) but the manufacturer reckons that it would only take one day to build, so I am guessing it might be the same price either way?

Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
You will not be able to build your proposed garage via P.D.

I don't know where you get your tile price from either you seem way to lean.

Don't forget also there will be eaves and short course tiles, tile 'n' halfs, lead valley, ridge tiles, scaffold, etc etc.

A roof of that size would cost in excess of £10k to furnish with plain clays (fitted).

Thanks but I have already checked, it's 2m from the boundary, is less than 4m high and is on 0.6 acre plot so it does not consume more than 50% of the free land. Please explain why you think that it won't be allowed in permitted development.

The cost of reclaimed tiles is £0.20 by two different suppliers down here. It would help if you can estimate the time that you think this would take to tile as I think I know the daily rate of a tiler.

Regards Andy

You are probably looking at about £5500 labour which would include fitting the membrane and battens.

Sponsored Links
How wide is the building going to be?

The cost of reclaimed tiles is £0.20 by two different suppliers down here.
What are they, hard core in-fill?

It would help if you can estimate the time that you think this would take to tile as I think I know the daily rate of a tiler.
You want to know how long it will take one tiler or a gang?

How wide is the building going to be?

5.3m

The cost of reclaimed tiles is £0.20 by two different suppliers down here.
What are they, hard core in-fill?

sorry is that a joke? these are tiles that are not damaged but taken own from an existing building.

It would help if you can estimate the time that you think this would take to tile as I think I know the daily rate of a tiler.
You want to know how long it will take one tiler or a gang?

It doesn't matter if you can tell me how long a gang would take and how many are in the gang I can do the maths.

Thanks Andy

I'm not sure I follow?

Surely if you have a tiler in mind then why don't you ask him how much and how long.

I know a gang that are highly skilled and are swift but charge £180 per day per man.

I also know a handy man who says he can tile a roof but admits it will take him forever but will only charge £100 per day.

The point is that you are likely to get differing time frames depending on whether the guys are working on a price, working on day rate or working to piece work.

Are you aware that you will need tile 'n' halfs, eaves tiles, valley tiles hip tiles and ridge tiles to go with your clay rejects?

Roofer and his mate about 3 weeks + for the time sorting whatever materials you source.

Your man, you guess!

You supply the scaffold
You build the roof structure
You do the gutters etc

Don't forget the valley, sand and cement, nails, felt, battens etc. Not to mention the detailing tiles Noseall flagged up.

The problem also with reclaimed throw-outs is wastage.

A decent roofer will chuck out any twisted tiles, half nibbed or compo clogged tiles so expect a fair chunk of wastage.

Also, factor in that throw-outs will take longer to lay.

And bear in mind that your special tiles, i.e. tile 'n' halfs etc may not match your throw-outs.

At 5.3m wide, with an eaves height of say 2.1m and a pitch of 35 degrees, your ridge tiles will come in at a minimum of 4.2m high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back