help needed to wire tv distribution kit in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,
I have bought a 4 into 1 tv distribution kit so that we can have tv in 4 rooms (3 bedrooms and 1 lounge).
We are in a bungalow so can get into the loft and see the ring wires for the wiring etc.
There is no 3 pin plug in the loft so want to install one.
is it safe to take a spur off the electric hood connector, or we also have the pull switch connector for a strip light that is installed up there or the on/off switch that turns the immersion on or off.
any help would be appreciated
Bazbro

Sponsored Links
For your purpose, it is probably easiest to take a spur from the room light circuit, but all the places you suggest would be OK. However, do make sure that you are not tapping into a switch cable.You should add a fused connector unit between the junction and your new socket and fit it with a 3A fuse, to prevent somebody trying to use a heater (or other large appliance! )in the loft.
A warning label would make it even better.
The TV signal amplifier uses negligible current.
NB You refer to ring wires--I guess you mean the lights and not the power socket ring, but if there is a 13A power ring there, it would solve all of your problem.

If your not sure what is what, then simple method is to use a mast head amplifier. These get there power up the coax from a power supply in one of the rooms being feed. They consist of two units. a) The mast head amp. b) The power supply.

Sponsored Links
... 13A power ring ...
What's one of those?
Does it really matter if called ring main, final ring circuit, or any other name which includes the word ring? We all know what is meant and you are just being pedantic. This is a domestic and so there is really no confusion.

I can see point in pointing out neutral and line are both called live wires this makes people aware they should treat neutral as live.

I can also see reason to question lighting ring as we know lighting is not normally run as a ring.

So to point out the sockets are normally supplied by a 32A protective device and not 13A makes sense. But to pick people up on a DIY site for incorrect names is rather petty.

Next we will get into the bulb, lamp, fitting thing. Does it really matter?

You did not point out it would be a radial from lighting circuit not a spur! But we all know what is mean so does not really matter.

So to point out the sockets are normally supplied by a 32A protective device and not 13A makes sense. But to pick people up on a DIY site for incorrect names is rather petty.
Except that it can cause worry and confusion in people who don't understand it all and might think that their 30 or 32A ring is not what it is.

I felt sorry for the OP as he had not had a response to a simple question all afternoon, and I guessed he may want to do the job this weekend.
I reckon we DIY'ers would understand each other enough, but I do defer to BAS knowledge and am always willing to develop my skills in using technical terminology.
I think its a great forum and would not be the same without the varied characters.

For your purpose, it is probably easiest to take a spur from the room light circuit, but all the places you suggest would be OK. However, do make sure that you are not tapping into a switch cable.You should add a fused connector unit between the junction and your new socket and fit it with a 3A fuse, to prevent somebody trying to use a heater (or other large appliance! )in the loft.
A warning label would make it even better.
The TV signal amplifier uses negligible current.
NB You refer to ring wires--I guess you mean the lights and not the power socket ring, but if there is a 13A power ring there, it would solve all of your problem.
So it's ok to do this?

I've just been up in to the loft (in a house) to see about getting power up there for the same thing and the socket I was going to spur off already has a spur (which runs up the wall across in the loft and down in to a bedroom).

Re The spur you are talking about.
If this is a spur from the ring (ring final socket circuit !! ) and there is only the one bedroom socket on it, then yes you will be OK.

One socket on the spur is enough, but you could fit a 13Amp fused connection unit into the spur and then connect the socket in the loft after it, with the cable continuing into the bedroom socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back