HELP NEEDED - WALL LIGHTS

j0hnryder said:
Sorry guys, but if there is one thing I'm not good at its electrics. How would I find out what is required?

Do I need to identify whether one fuse operates these four lights in my living room.

Would it also be helpful if I mentioned that these four wall lights are the only lights in that room. There is no ceiling light.

take the switch off and give us a diagram. then we might have a better idea. if you cant do this, it looks like your gonna have to call a spark who can look at this himself to work out how its wired

Sponsored Links
Please show which wires run from which switch terminals to which wall light terminals.

Sponsored Links
The yellow is a yellow/green earth yes - two of them.

There are two switches here. One operates lights A and B. The other operates C and D.

j0hnryder said:
The yellow is a yellow/green earth yes - two of them.

There are two switches here. One operates lights A and B. The other operates C and D.
does the switch you have made the diagram of have 1 side to control lights A&B and the other to control C&D? if it is, then you have not included the cable supplying the power. ATM it looks like 1 cable is power, going thru both side of the siwtch for some reason and then to 2 of the lights

j0hnryder said:
No problem. This is a diagram of the switch:

switch0br.jpg
It can't be.

ban-all-sheds said:
j0hnryder said:
No problem. This is a diagram of the switch:

switch0br.jpg
It can't be.

it can be... providing that 1 is the feed in and 1 goes to the lights... and that means both switches have to be on for them to work... which i doubt its wired that way

i concur. j0hnryder you are a wire missing (well you are to make 2 differnt lights work, for one light it is fine)

i think he may have missed the feed cable... which should connect to the red accross both comms, earth terminal and the choc block for the black...

andrew2022 said:
it can be... providing that 1 is the feed in and 1 goes to the lights... and that means both switches have to be on for them to work... which i doubt its wired that way
But that's fairly much at odds with the description of each gang independently controlling 2 pairs of lights.

Given j0hnryder's admitted incompetence, I think it's more likely that his diagram is wrong rather than his memory of how the lights used to work...

The switch setup diagram is not wrong. 100% correct. Its a simple thing to draw.

Let me say, the switch setup has remained the same since I moved into the house. I've not replaced it, tampered with it or anything.

I have simply changed 2 of the wall lamps (A and B). So surly its not the switch that is the problem as it was working before and should still work providing I wire lamps A and B correctly.

Since B wired up in the same way as the lamp that was replaced, it must be the way that lamp A is wired up that is the problem.

j0hnryder said:
The switch setup is deffinitley not wrong. 100% correct. Its a simple thing to draw.

Let me say, the switch setup has remained the same since I moved into the house.

I have simply changed 2 of the wall lamps. So surly its not the switch that is the problem as it was working before.

The problem must lie with how I have wired up lamp A, since B is deffinitley wired up in the same way as the lamp that was replaced.

if that switch controls both lights independantly, there there is a wired missed. its impossible for the wiring of that switch to control 2 independant lights

Sorry but I've double checked it and checked it again. The diagram is right.

I'll have to wait and see if one of my friends who is an electrician to take a look at them.

Thanks though.

j0hnryder said:
The switch setup diagram is not wrong. 100% correct. Its a simple thing to draw.
Electrically this is what you say you have:

j0hnswitch.jpg

The solid/dashed lines show the alternate connections made by each switch rocker.

Please follow the flow of current, and explain how, with only one wire in, and one out of the switch it can possible control two pairs of lights independently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back