Help Needed with Asbestos Garage (See Pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Im having a double storey side extension built at my house, im in the proces of clearing the site ready for the builders.

Today I began to remove what i believ to be an asbestos cement garage (see pictures below). I wore dust suits, masks etc... and started the proces.

The garage is in panels approx 4ft wide and 6ft tall. The panels are nailed in and when trying the remove the panels they keep craking/splitting. The wooden frame that the panels are fixed to is in pretty bad shape which doesn't help with the ease of removal.

I had a large roll of 1000 guage polythere and red asbestos bags to put any break offs on.

Im concerned to take anymore panels as i know if it breaks the fibres are the dangerous part.

Looking at the pictures do you think its safe to continue to remove this myself (taking the necessary precautions) or would this only be a job for the Asbestos removal guys.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Pics Below

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_0461.jpg

DSC_0391.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

DSC_0389.jpg

DSC_0388.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nah, you can do it. You sound as though you're taking sensible precautions. Just be sure to hose it down inside and out before continuing. (gentle hose, not pressure washer!)

Have you got a plan for disposal once it's all bagged up?

Yeah my local council will collect some of it for free. I can take the rest to my local tip if i call in advance.

Im going to ask the council if i can pay extra and have them collect it all.

I can't the panels off without breaking them though do you still think its safe to remove myself?

Yes, but wetting them and wearing a good mask is paramount.

Sponsored Links
I was told by a guy who new about asbestos that tiny particles are like barbed fish hooks.
They can get into your skin in your hair etc

I would say a good dust mask and an all in one suit would be wise

They get into your lungs, and because they are 'barbed' tend to stay there indefinitely, eventually causing cancerous growths. Not a nice way to go apparently.

But if you take precautions, you'll be ok. You have to be really really unlucky to inhale a dodgy fibre.

I took the garage down yesterday. I went round the night before and soaked all panels with water/pva mix.

The panels were very brittle and broke apart even with me carefully trying to remove. I kept the panels damped down with a watering can filled with water.

I didnt actually see any dust while the panels were broken up and kept the ground and all parts well soaked.

I double bagged up all the parts of the panels in Red Asbestos sacks and they are awaiting collection from my Local Council.

I have kept a sample to send off for testing.

I kept my dust suit on and respirator mask all day. Once finished I chucked the suit/gloves in one of the sacks and jumped in the shower. I also wore an old pair of trainers that i chuked along with the dust suits.

My main concern is that there were a loads of breakages. The 6ft x 4ft panels ending up breaking up in to bits the size of a shoe box lid.

This is the only time i have worked with asbestos and it was done outside with all the above precautions so im hoping im ok.

I was wondering if an Asbestos removal company came round to do the job would they just do what i did or would they be wearing bio suits of something?

I have kept a sample to send off for testing.

Why? are you planning to sleep with it :?:

You have taken more precations than Tommy Walsh did, when he carried out the same job on one of his shows.

I am an asbestos consultant - you've taken far more precautions than your average azzy stripper would have done :D

From what you've described, you've left it safer than most would have done, and you've saved yourself a packet into the bargain:cool:

I am an asbestos consultant - you've taken far more precautions than your average azzy stripper would have done :D

From what you've described, you've left it safer than most would have done, and you've saved yourself a packet into the bargain:cool:

Thank you for this. Thats put my mind at rest.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Bes Regards
Neil

I have to question if those guys are really experts.
The best thing you can do is take a small sample of the material to an envromental testing lab. Asbestos is a microscopic fibre, therefore a dustmask would be useless.You need a respirator with a p100 filter.and a tyvek suit .
When you take the sample , put it in a plastic bag or container.

If you value your life I'd get some professionals in. Can't believe someone would risk it. Once those particles go airborne no dust masks will stop it entering your lungs!

Most of what is written above is true, however being out in the fresh air is probably going to prevent any inhilation.
and it is true you do need a mask that is rated down to 3 microns, (ie. up to the job)
I worked in the trade when asbestos was in common use and the chippies used to saw it up in the kitchens, and when we were having snap, we used to ball it up and use it as snowballs, and it never did me any harmmmarrgghhh....cough... chough... choke ahhhh....

I used to work in the Railway workshops in York -Where they used to install asbestos and, while I was there, were removing it.

The fibre length is the issue, that is why blue is so dangerous and white less so (the colour you can see DOES NOT not denote the type).

I watched many friends who had worked there installing it fade and die.

With the right mask you are OK - better in a disposable suit as well. To be careful sweep/vacuum the area where you took the garage down or dispose of the top couple of inches of soil and replace it. That way you know all the dust has gone.

Well it was back in February so it's not really relevant now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back