Help needed with cast iron vertical toilet stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently decided to upgrade our bathroom suite (wish I hadnt) and got a man in to do all the removal/installation of bath, sink toilet etc...

Now I knew the toilet needed an s-pan style as the soil stack came from the floor, so actually found a twyford which was made to actually fit such a presentation. I naively assumed that buying such a toilet would be much easier and look nicer than have a pan connector coming out of the back of a p-pan.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, when we removed the loo.. we found that the rim of the collar of the cast iron stack was two thick to fit around the vertical pipe of the loo. And I dont even think it would fit anyway. The options suggested were to either make a 2" plinth on which the toilet could sit, or get another loo...

Im now startling to favour the latter, but dont think I can even find a connector that would fit the protrusion from the floor.. most seem to simply fit around a 4" pipe, which this is not...

Im in desperate need of a solution.. can anyone help???

View media item 49085View media item 49086

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cut off the vertical edge of the soil pipe with an angle grinder and get a pan connector to fit in between toilet and stack. (keeping the same toilet)

Andy

As above cut the collar off with an angle grinder and buy a pan connector that fits inside the pipe.

Clue: Multiwik will have them if you do a google.

Thanks..

We did get a couple of connectors before we know what we were faced with, and these are standard width, and are too wide to actually fit within the inner hole of the stack...

Sponsored Links
I assumed the flexi hose part of that fitting would simply sit in the iron pipe? Only issue of concern is the the stack dog legs left not far from the surface, which you cant really see in the image...

A bend should be ok to take the fitting shown.

I have to say the pipe looks more like clay then cast iron.

Im only assuming its iron as I was told this due to a crack/rust to the bath waste which connected into the main vertical stack. Im sure theres evidence of rust marks at some parts.

Ok, so I need to get the vertical parts of the collar removed, which would then leave about 1" or so of surface rim, then the hole. The connector shown would feed into this hole, would this then be sealed to make water/air tight etc, then the toilet pipe would simply sit into the plastic collar?

Correct, but you also need to check the make up length between the pan and the pipe.

Once you get sorted, fit the pan connector to the WC first.

Thanks doitall...

So is it simply the rubber fins on the connector that form the seal within the stack pipe, I dont need to add/do anything else?

Finally, I would imagine cutting iron with an angle grinder is going to produce lots of sparks.. is their an alternative??

I very much doubt I would undertake such a task, but good to be armed with info when Im talking through what needs doing with someone...

Thanks for all your help.. and to others who have offered their opinions and advice...

Lots of sparks, just make sure you have good ppe, especially glasses, and make sure the work area is clear of fire hazards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back