Help needed with in-loop kitchen system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have an ordinary halogen strip light that i want to connect to my kitchen in-loop light circuit, but it only has a basic (ie one wire each connection) joining unit. Can I buy expanders suitable for the (nine) wires that I need to link up to this circuit?

Also, how do I distinguish between the main circuit and the switch wire? I do have a meter, if that help?

From an electrical novice (but plumbing king! - you can see the water etc...)

Sponsored Links
sounds like you should leave well alone mate. I was doing nothing but radials and ring mains for my first two year in the trade. Ya must know a sparky on site ask him nicely to have a look. Otherwise i live nr bromley if thats nr you-save ya gettin a belt.

You'll need a lighting junction box - it has 4 terminals, which you use for Live, Neutral, Earth and Switched Live.

Check out the reference section - it has all the diagrams you need. The easiest way to identify which cable is which is by marking the switch cable before you remove the old ceiling rose. Once that is done the other 2 don't matter, as they are just joined colour-to-colour.

Another safe, but less aesthetic way, is to use a length of 6 amp (min) rated heat resisting three core flex. i.e. that of your lighting MCB, and link the existing ceiling rose, to the input of the fancy light fitting, connecting the Earth to the respective terminals, then testing the Earth connection etc is sound, before restoring the power.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the four way junction box was the way to go. Every book I have assumes a level of understanding that, frankly, my GCSE in Physics 12 years ago didn't supply.

Thanks once again. Especially to the guy who offered to come around and have a look for me!! Wow!

flash bang said:
sounds like you should leave well alone mate. I was doing nothing but radials and ring mains for my first two year in the trade.
Slow learner? ;)

Ya must know a sparky on site ask him nicely to have a look. Otherwise i live nr bromley if thats nr you-save ya gettin a belt.
1) Why must he know a sparky?
2) He said "my kitchen in-loop light circuit" - doesn't sound like he's "on site".
3) It is quite possible for someone who's not had the benefit of two years of radials and ring mains training to grasp the workings of a lighting circuit and not grasp any live conductors....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back