HELP NEEDED WITH 'STRUCTURAL IMPROVEMENT' DILEMNA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Need some expert advice with this. We are in co-ownership with Gallions Housing. We have our 10 yr old in a 'bedroom' of 66m2 with a width of 1.9m. We wish to convert our loft to a master bedroom so we will still be a 3 bedroom dwelling. Our building guys (Truss Loft ltd) have told us it can be done.
Our problems started when we applied to Gallions Housing Society to carry out the improvements and they informed us that we could carry out NO improvements what-so-ever as we dont own the property out-right.
We are now trying to put a case together to put to them.
I cant find anything in the Enviromental Protection Act as part of our argument will suggest that the bedroom is not fit for purpose as it is too small. A single bed will fit length ways only and with a small wardrobe and chest of drawers the room is full. We have found literature from the association that states that improvements 'such as loft conversions' will be considered however this is stated in the original info pack and i dont know how much weight this carries.
I believe that there are no legal requirements for this issue but any help or advice or similar case history etc you may have will be greatly appreciated.
Regards Steve

Sponsored Links
We have our 10 yr old in a 'bedroom' of 66m2

I cant find anything in the Enviromental Protection Act as part of our argument will suggest that the bedroom is not fit for purpose as it is too small. A single bed will fit length ways only and with a small wardrobe and chest of drawers the room is full.

Your post is a bit confusing - surely your bedroom is not 66m2?

Also, please clarify the second paragraph above - are you talking about the existing bedroom or the one you want to build?

As an assured or secure tenant you have the right to improve your home. You will generally have the same right under co-ownership

You will require the landlords permission, but the permission can not be unreasonably withheld. If the permission is withheld without good reason, then you can complain to the association or take it to the Residential Property Tribunal

There are no 'legal' requirements for a bedroom to be any particular size, but the leading authority is the 'Parker Morris' report from the early 60's which recommended (not stipulated) a size of (IIRC) 8 sqm and a minimum width of 2.5m.

Size does not matter for building regs purposes but it may be part of local planning policy for new build or extensions.

However, if the proposed bedroom is deemed too small (eg just enough room for a bed and wardrobe) then this may be good reason to refuse landlords permission as it will affect quality of life in use

Yeah Woody i see your point
The size is 6.6m2, maths never being my strong point :oops: The room i described is the existing bedroom and is small even for a boxroom. I understand the Parker Morris is a report generally for social housing but i'm sure that there are similar guidelines in the Enviromental Protection Act but i cant find the relevant details in it.
There being no definative requirements for minimum sizes I'm trying to put together as much infomation to bolster our application.
Thanks for the advice about the appeal body and i'm hoping that co-ownership doesn't have special exclusions.

Regards Steve

Sponsored Links
Sorry Woody it's late,

Let me clarify.

The existing bedroom is 5.13m2 (1.9m x 2.7m)

The proposed, the conversion, will be 45m2

Thanks again for the advise and i'll post further developments.

Cheers Fella.

There is nothing in the EPA 1990, as it is not appropriate legislation.

There are some references to fitness within the Housing Act (and later amendments) but nothing related to size

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back