Help needed with window cills. Paint wont stop peeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi every one the paint keeps peeling on my window cills that i had rendered. This is the method i used.

Applyed a stabiliser to rendered cill

Filled any hollows with wickes exterior ready mixed filler

Rubbed down filler which was very easy. I also noticed if any water got on the filler it rubbed off very easy.

I applyed some pva onto filled areas

Applyed 2-3 coats of exterior masonary paint.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? It bubbles once dry and then as i scrap off alot comes off especially what was on the filled areas

Sponsored Links
hey all,

New here but been a pro decorator for around ten years now.

You've made a couple of mistakes here, firstly never apply paint on top of PVA, seal filler with thinned paint prior to a full coat

Also you'd be better off using a cement based filler over exterior render.

Couple of other things to think about, if the temperature is to low the paint wont dry thoroughly and subsequent coats will bubble also if its newly rendered it needs a thinned coat applied first to 'satisfy the porousity' of the render.

Your problem in this case i think though is the PVA so you need to scrape the lot off.

Have fun!

Hi every one the paint keeps peeling on my window cills that i had rendered. This is the method i used.

Applyed a stabiliser to rendered cill

As dcdec says (hi dcdec :) ) thinned masonry paint should be used as a primer . then one/ two of more neater coats.

Stabiliser is meant for chalky / powdery surfaces, What you describe is a classic case of the stabiliser leaving a glossy like finish, which the masonry paint can't adhere to properly.

good luck.

Sponsored Links
Hi jondecs, definately agree with the stabiliser, forgot to mention that, think it says on the tin not to use on sound surfaces (certainly does on the datasheet anyway), be a good idea for the poster to seal it after stripping with bin to get some adhesion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back