Help Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am wanting to run some double sockets up in my loft, say 3. Thing is there is no power supply up there bar the lights. I was going to take a spur from one of the sockets in the bedrooms, thing is. Would i be better to run 1 2.5mm cable up to a fused connection switch and then connect the 3 double sockets to that. Also what amp would the fused connection need to be i will only be running computer, tv, stereo, fish tank, and usual small electrical items. Or should i just run spurs from each bedroom, Also would i be able to run 3 double sockets from the 1 fcu. Thanks in advance. :p

Sponsored Links
You have three options,

1. as you say, run a spur in 2.5mm to an FCU and connect your three double sockets to that.
Bear in mind that you will be limited to 13amps in total for all of the sockets

2. run spurs from three separate ring final sockets - each spur to serve one double socket. You get 13A per socket that way.

3. the best option is to run two 2.5mm cables from a socket and basically extend the ring final into the loft. You also get 13A per socket with this method.

Hi
Thanks. see the 3rd choice are you saying run 2 lenghts of 2.5mm t/e up to the loft and connect a double socket to each then have the third connected to both. Is it ok that the socket i am taking the power from is used to link back to as well, this would make the sockets in the loft have there own circuit with the supply playing the consumer unit, i hope i am explaining this ok.

Is it ok that the socket i am taking the power from is used to link back to as well,
No.

Do you actually understand how a ring final works, and what it's topology should be?

computer, tv, stereo, fish tank, and usual small electrical items
Are you doing a proper loft conversion? That usage makes it a habitable room.

You need Building Regulations approval, and even if you don't care about breaking the law and making your house hard to sell, are you sure that the joists are strong enough to take the load of people, or even a person, living there?

Sponsored Links
TCC's option 3 is to extend your ring circuit into the loft which is your best option

Run 2 x 2.5mm cables from the socket in the bedroom into the loft.

Cable 1 would run to the first socket and cable 2 would run to the last socket, regardless of how many you decide to install.

Using 2.5mm cable loop from socket 1 into socket 2, socket 2 into socket 3 and so on until to get to the last socket. You now have a ring circuit where all the new sockets are connected together.

At the bedroom socket remove both cables from the socket outlet.

Connect any one of the existing cables to one of the new cables using 30amp connector block, live, neutral and earth.

Connect the other new cable and the other existing cable to the socket outlet.

You have now extended the you existing ring circuit.

The above will make sense if you look at ring circuits in the wiki section.

Hi
Yes i understand that better now. Am i right in saying that all the sockets need to be rcd protected, just so i know what sockets to buy. Do you know of any good books on electrical diagrams for a compontant person. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back