Help new house plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Hope someone may offer help.

I moved into a new house today and all the radiators had been removed which doesn't matter as I'm having electric heaters anyway. However, all the unsightly pipe work is all on show and still live being isolated via the old radiator valves.

I only have one tank in the attic and thought the water in the old radiator pipe work was redundant so started to drain it down but it started emptying the cold water storage tank.

I thought it may be an old cylinder with an old air bubble. Prismatic? But there is an old central heating pump in the living area near the old ripped out fire place.

Can I drain it all down and cut the cylinder coil connections and cap them to rip out the central heating pipe work? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
My sister has electric storage and immersion heaters as no mains gas supply and her electric bills, even with economy 7, are eye watering, modern house built 2002 and is well insulated.

I don't know if you have done a heat loss calculation? Have you got PV panels on the roof or wind turbines?

I also have no gas hence why I was looking at electric. I think there used to be an oil tank and boiler but there is nothing now and i think it would be an expensive job to get all that.
I'm currently living with parents as its too cold to live in at the moment. So will get a pic tomorrow.

All that I can see is 3 pipes going into the attic. In the attic
1) bottom of the tank
2) vent over the tank
3) mains cold to ball cock.

Pipe 1 goes into bottom of cylinder.
Pipe 2 comes from top of cylinder and then tees and goes up in attic and also down under floor (feeding hot taps?)

Then there is 2 coil connections which just both come out the cylinder and go directly under floor.

How is water getting from the tank to feed into the central heating pipe work?

Sponsored Links
By using the bottom pipe on the F&E tank, you have an indirect vented system and i would leave it well alone for now if i were you, look into getting a boiler and oil tank or any other option using what you have.

You will kick yourself later on for doing this and make the house less desirable if you sell on in the future.

Assuming you don't have your own PVs or what ever else.

Okay. Well if I do it that way I'll redo all the plumbing and probably chase it in the wall.
Temporally can I cap the flow and return on the primatic cylinder to keep the hot water working via the immersion and then in the near future buy and fit a new indirect cylinder and obviously put a new additional tank in the attic. Or would capping the primatic flow and return have some kind of affect on the air bubble that seperates the hot water and central heating?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back