Help - Newbee - Roofing - Bonding Gutter!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with a roof on a terraced house. I had the end terraced house of a row of 1930s (ish) terraced houses. In 2005 had a new house built on the end (so the former end was now a mid terrace - with me so far). Recently the roof has started to leak in the old house and of 3 roofers I had round, one said he couldn't see anything wrong, the 2nd said the join of the old and new roofs was 'appalling - who the hell did that - they need shooting' and went on to say that he could take off the tiles and once they were off - well worse case scenario a new roof £5k. :eek:
The last one suggested a bonding gutter - between 2 terraced houses!! and has not given me a price yet. The leak is at gutter level so there is no evidence there is anything wrong with the roof. I am a great believer in 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. I am worrying they are trying to take me for a ride. I am female and I am aware I may look like an easy target - hence this research. Any suggestions?? Help :cry:

Sponsored Links
Can you clarify 'at gutter level' please? Gutter should be below the level of the roof, so where exactly is the water coming into the property?

Sponsored Links
As the others have said, put a photo on.
What Im reading into it, I am guessing when you say bonding gutter, it is a secret gutter at the intersection of both roofs.
However this wouldnt cost 5k to do.

Is it even possible to mess up the join when extending a roof like this one?

And if a roofer can't find a roof leak then he's in the wrong trade

Along with your roof images (and of the ridge and eaves/gutter/soffit), explain where the damp is showing internally, and if there are signs of damp in the loft, and if there are any chimneys nearby

One builder suggested a bonding gutter - yet to get a price, and I have never seen one in between 2 terraced houses. Another said he would have to take up a few layers of tiles but depending on what he found it may not be possible to put them back and - worse case scenario - new roof £5k. :eek: The leak is on the right one of the 2 properties pictured in the room on the middle floor (the attic is a room also). There is no leak in the attic. The water is dripping through in the middle of the room to the right of where the white gutter meets the black gutter. It is coming from the party wall direction as you can see the wet line so it could be coming from the join in the roof above or from the gutter. If more pics are needed I will try to get one taken when the light is better. There does seem to be a big tangle of what looks like string but I assume to be roof felt in the gutter - should this have been trimmed? - How much felt should be hanging into the gutter (if any). Thanks in advance..

A closer photo of the gutter detail would be good, it looks very much like a stop end fitted to the end of the white gutter, therefore there would be a gap between the two, which is where the waters dripping.
Theres a few tiles not sitting very good, but it wouldnt cost 5k to put right.

The lead apron on the chimney is suspect and isn't pointed / sealed. The cover flashings on the chimney are also suspect - you need to fix all the lead-work around the chimney, water could be getting in here and tracking down the felt until it reaches the the eaves, at this point inexperienced roofers often leave the felt unsupported behind the fascia which can allow leaks in at this point.

The joining-in is not great but is not likely to be causing the leak in my opinion. You don't need a bonding gutter unless you are using different sized slates that don't run through on the same gauge, the slates run through here so no need!

Get the lead-work to chimney done by someone who knows what they are doing and if there is anything else obvious up there, they'll spot it whilst they're there.

it is possible and likely the front "apron" is actualy a tray so wont need sealing.
However the front apron cover flashing is incorrect on the corner of the chimney and will certainly let water in.

As others have said you do not need a bonding strip.

check chimney first.

The slates slightly cocked up should not cause the problem. no new roof needed

could easily have left soakers out..a bit extreme but who knows,
another possibility is the extractor is not properly connected if at all.
but my monies on the chimney flashing

It all depends on where the rain is showing internally

Any leak on the stack would seemingly run down the stack or party wall and not travel down to the eaves gutter as per the OP

It would also help to know if the roof is felted

Since the leak is at the eaves and there is nothing obvious going on there and the lead to the stack is dodgy to say the least - then it most likely that the water is finding its way in at the chimney and running down the felt (there will be felt on the newish fibre cement slate roof).

The lead apron does not turn round the corner properly and go under the next course of slates - so there is a leak point right there at that corner, which could easily land on the felt and run down to the eave.

Get the lead re-done properly around the chimney - new aprons, soakers, saddles and cover flashings and all shall be well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back