Help No Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a baxi wall mounted heater which seems to be working fine in that the hot water is extreamly hot, but the radiators are not getting hot, and there is a lot of banging from the boiler , any idears. The pump seems to be running

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating engineer, but it sounds like your radiators are full of air, have you tried bleding them?

Yes i've tried bleeding the radiators but this has not helped, the pilot light also keeps going out, and the boiler is making some very load banging noises, could the pump be broken even through i can feel it vibrating???

Sponsored Links
A boiler banging and crashing away normally indicates air in it.Do you have tanks in the loft for a central heating feed if so check that it is at the correct level..the ballcocks normally stick as they hardly ever move and over the years the water evaporates!
Have you bled the pump and the pipes?although if you haven't tinkered with the system that is unlikely to be the problem.You may have an air bleed on the boiler aswell.
If the pump's gone it will all be quiet but a couple of upstairs radiators may be warm through conductance.
Finally check the heating pipe on your motorized valve it may have given up the ghost blocking the heating outlet.

Thanks for replies so far.
I have checked header tanks and they work o.k. and full of water. When you say bleed the pump i assume this is by relesing the large screw on the pump it's self. I have done this and just water came out. I tried the heating this morning (sunday), and after several very large bangs it cut out. The pilot light goes out and on several occasions the overheat knob has jumped out. The short time the boiler was on the pipes either side of the pump got hot.
How do i bleed air from the boiler, it really seems if there is no water in it.
It is a Baxi Solo WM 50/4 RS

I am still not a plumber or heating engineer, but my money is on a faulty pump.

The pipe going to the pump gets hot because the boiler is heatingthe water in it, the other side gets hot through convection, the boiler cuts out because the water is literaly boiling, because the pump is not pumping it away.

Sound like a faulty pump....I suppose if the bearings are siezing but the motor's still having a go that would account for the vibration.Go here to get a new pump (the dab ones are decnt and cheap/grundfoss the best) [/url]http://www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frames_cat.htm

Hi Breezer I could never get your links to work,but i've just worked out you have to copy and paste into the address bar to get them to work,if you just click them they're dead.Well they are for me anyhow!

Simon, i did not realise that, they work for me, does any one else find that my links do not work?

Simon in your profile have you got html set as yes? and also i can not get your links to work, the best way is one that says "here" and it is a link, but i can not get those to work. (i will see what i can do)

a quick way to cut and paste (excuse me if you already know) is to high light the link, press ctrl & C to cut and ctrl & V to paste.

bit of a performance but it works try this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back