help..Novice.....with... .Plaster & lathe walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all............I am a bit of a DIY novice, in the process of fitting a shower door between two walls. Unfortunately, where on on side I can fix the frame to a solid block wall, on the other side, is a plaster skim over what appears to be some sort of lathe type underbody.

As the house is 160 plus years old, no doubt the more experienced and knowledgable amongst the forum, will hopefully know what I am going on about.....LOL.

The major problem that I have, is that where I have drilled and attempted to plug the lathe wall it just breaks away, or pulls back through - so i am unable to get a solid fix.

Could anyone please suggest an effective type of anchor fixing for the screws to fix into. I have tried normal style rawls without success and also plastic plasterboard type anchors - again without success.

Your helpful advice on this problem would be very much appreciated.

Sincere regards..............Pete

Sponsored Links
I don't like fixing things into lathe walls, its never easy to get a good hold. Best I have found are the wall plugs that come with screws, they are plastic and push into the hole you have made but have a flat top to prevent being pushed right into the hole. as you tighten the screw in, the plug opens out at the back of the plaster/lathe.

Wickes sell them ( I think they call them cavity fixings) - I had a quick look on Srew fix to give you a link but coundn't find anything similar.

If your shower door is to hinge from the wall, I don't think the fixings would hold for that long, your best bet would be to cut into the wall and fix a timber stud in place then re-plaster.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the advice manta.......I'll check out your suggestions and hopefully it might prove the answer to the problem.

All the best...........Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back