help old 'ideal' boiler British gas service has condemed it

As I understand the Regs, CORGI don't make 'em - they just police them. I would be very wary about fitting a pattern-type part unless I had the authority to do so, in writing, from either the manufacturer or CORGI. Situations like this have been known to come back and bite hard.

Sponsored Links
Would love to know where this came from...
recent changes in the corgi regs

I'd be out of line with you chaps then. I WOULD use a boiler case seal produced by the likes of Regin, in the same way I'd use a universal thermocouple, or wingnuts and washers. The Elan one is not specially shaped as far as I remember, it's just off a roll.

I would also strongly suggest a CO detector, but that would apply to almost any installation with an old boiler, especially PP ones.

As an aside, I've got a catalogue of parts for industrial boilers, with a large section on general purpose seals, sheets of gasket materials for gas, flues etc. Square metres of PTFE, anyone?

I don't know about changes in corgi regs but I know glow-worm recently issued a bulletin to say they didn't approve any replacement case seals except the genuine part. I'm pretty sure baxi wm's are the same aswell if not all of them. Can't really see how or why the manufacturers would approve aftermarket safety seals.

I don't suppose there's a car maker who approves aftermarket brake pads, either.
Or as I say, a boiler mfr, ditto, thermocouples.

Sponsored Links
Try to phone up ideal they may be able to help out
also try similar case seal that will fit safely.
here is case seal for ELAN 2 80NF prt no 721715 at hrpc http://www.partscenter.co.uk/parts/index.html in stock
as i dont know what the case seal looks like it dificult to advise but also ideal clsssic case seal may fit.(white thin flat seal )

ollski said:
I don't know about changes in corgi regs but I know glow-worm recently issued a bulletin to say they didn't approve any replacement case seals except the genuine part. I'm pretty sure baxi wm's are the same aswell if not all of them. Can't really see how or why the manufacturers would approve aftermarket safety seals.

because often the seals are no longer avialable, providing the seal makes an adequate seal and passes a co test around the boiler, ratio checks are ok the the boiler is no longer at risk, or dangerous. if a classic as a defected seal around the casing i can use an isar case seal, its the same thing different boiler, different seal but its ok to use them as long as there is no spillage. thank you

corgigazza said:
Try to phone up ideal they may be able to help out
also try similar case seal that will fit safely.
here is case seal for ELAN 2 80NF prt no 721715 at hrpc http://www.partscenter.co.uk/parts/index.html in stock
as i dont know what the case seal looks like it dificult to advise but also ideal clsssic case seal may fit.(white thin flat seal )

fits like a dream gaz mate

the.ideal.man said:
ollski said:

because often the seals are no longer avialable, providing the seal makes an adequate seal and passes a co test around the boiler, ratio checks are ok the the boiler is no longer at risk, or dangerous. if a classic as a defected seal around the casing i can use an isar case seal, its the same thing different boiler, different seal but its ok to use them as long as there is no spillage. thank you

thats fine. as long as the manufacturer says its ok to fit an aftermarket seal then there is no problem. i would imagine there is no chance of the manufacturer giving that advice over the phone though, it doesnt help the engineer right then does it?.

i do think that BG would have asked if there is a seal available. the amount of boilers they must see with NLA seals it would be in their best interest.

the.ideal.man said:
ollski said:

I don't have a problem with it but if you use it and a month later it spills and causes a co incident due to a case seal problem and you have substituted the correct part will your employer back you up 100%?. Personally unless I have specific, individual, official authorization its not a risk I am willing to take...trust nobody.

ollski said:
the.ideal.man said:
ollski said:

I don't have a problem with it but if you use it and a month later it spills and causes a co incident due to a case seal problem and you have substituted the correct part will your employer back you up 100%?. Personally unless I have specific, individual, official authorization its not a risk I am willing to take...trust nobody.

the same would apply then if you service a boiler passed a boiler and the seals seemed ok and in good condition, but 3 weeks later co leaked from the seals? ok they were the correct seals but they still leaked after you passed them.

the.ideal.man said:
the same would apply then if you service a boiler passed a boiler and the seals seemed ok and in good condition, but 3 weeks later co leaked from the seals? ok they were the correct seals but they still leaked after you passed them.

Well there is nothing you can do about that, prove you checked them, take a hse interview and you have no problem as the job has been done correctly. Replace with an incorrect part that has not been specifically authorized and your employer will drop you like a stone to face potentially a manslaughter charge.....not for me thanks.

No clarification that boiler is positive fan flue as i mentioned earlier. If it is then NO attempt of a repair should be made using incorrect seal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back