Help on balancing my heating system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently had a new combi boiler installed...
When it got fitted all the radiators worked fine but since then I think I may have turned some valves...

Now, i have been advised that all that needs doing is to re balance the system (as I was going to replumb all the radiators in 15mm plastic pipe).

All the radiators bar 1 are in microbore pipe, there are 3 upstairs in each bedroom and 3 downstairs, 1 small 1 in the hall, 1 large one in lounge and an add on (before i moved in) in the bathroom (which is downstairs) but this 1 in the bathroom is in 15mm copper.

So heres my problem, I turn the heating on and the radiator in the bathroom in 15mm gets really hot (water obviously taking the path of least resistance) but the others are stone cold, i have all the inlet valves on all radiators open fully but the out (locksheild i believe) valves 1 and half turn downstairs and half turn upstairs (as advised) but still no joy, the pipes are definitely hot going into all radiators but just doesn't run through the radiators..

(bit more info, the systems has been powerflushed a couple of months before the new boiler install)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Ashley

Sponsored Links
i probably would turn off all rads and open one at a time probably start with furthest away from boiler and see if you are getting flow through it and a good tempurature -(this could establish if you have a blockage) you could try this upstairs and downstairs
if you get heat to furthest rad away try opening locksheid full,as you work closer to boiler throtle down lockshieds (maybe leave bathroom rad till last or slightly open)-have you got any high points in system that might need venting

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys.

I have just thought, im my old systems there was a timer on the wall with an option for hot water or heating and hot water (and old timer!), but attached to this was a thermostat with a dial (degrees setting), could this have anything to do with heating problems, i thought it was redundant!

maybe if they have wired the new system to it (but not that common)
whats the make of your new boiler
- have you got other controls for your system-
what type of old system did you have
has all old pipe work been removed from old cylinder cupboard and roof space or linked up
does your boiler cycle-eg come on go off come on regularly
is system pressure good
all rads vented
ideas
try shutting off one rad furthest-open bleed vent (with container at hand)open flow valve -have you got good pressure-close flow-open lock shield have you got good pressure-(recharge system)top up
is bathroom a rad or t-rail
have you got drain off points on system-turn off boiler -attach hose -run to garden -undo drain offs-open fill loop and check quality of water and pressure-ideally flow and return separate-shut flow down on each rad so you can check water flow in pipework-refill system and vent(bleed)
can you trace pipe runs eg where they go to bathroom rad etc
is your micro bore on manifolds or tees of pipework
just a few things to be getting on with let us know how you are getting on(

Hey all,

thanks for your replys,

after looking at the pipe work there is a motorised valve on the system.
When i ripped the old thermostat out there was a cable looping into the old programmer (timer).

So there was 4 cables in the old programmer 2 just power to activate the boiler, 1 looping to the thermostat and 1 which i think goes up to the motorised vale.

I ripped all these out and put the 2 cables to power the boiler in a junction box, do i need to connect the other cable which i think is coming from the motorised valve into the junction box and loop the thermostat in.

Thanks for the help

Ashley

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleycowx/5187814178/

The pipe going under the silver box does NOT run through it...

This juction box with T+E coming out is what I took out of the programmer me thinks....

Does this cable need to go into the junction box
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleycowx/5187225207/

This is the junction box I have put in where the old programmer used to be...

This is the old programmer and stat (the best picture I could find)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleycowx/5187835852/

I really appreciate your help guys, thanks v much.

Ashley

All I need to know now is..

Do I connect the cable coming from the JB at the motor valve to the new white JB and then connect the thermostat into the JB as well or just leave the thermostat our completly...

Ash

Hey all,

Thank you very much for your time and help.

It was the 2-port motorised valve, it wasn't powered so the valve was shut blocking the system, this is now sorted and all the heating works perfectly (thank god!)

Once again thanks,

Kind regards

Ashley

I have recently had a new combi boiler installed...
Are you sure you mean combi; i.e instant hot water, so no hot water cylinder.

If it is a combi, there normally wouldn't be a motorized valve anywhere.

Can you see what the Make and model number is of the valve?

Hi there,

Yes it used to be a gravity fed system, with a hot water tank but all this was taken out.

To save some costs I only had the boiler installed by a registered plumber but all the pipe work, tank and header tank removal was done by me and a friend so the motorised valve we left in but I forgot to reconnect the cable until I realised tonight...

I have just got the system working for now hence the JB's but I am sorting a rewire out soon so all this will be sorted and neatly put right.

Regards

Ashley

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back