Help on central heating boiler please

If your rads get hot to the touch, but your rooms are cold.........The rads are too small or your insulation needs upgrading - the boilers doing what it should do..

Sponsored Links
Simond - Sorry to annoy you. As the main problem occurs when outside temperature is very cold (eg 2c or less), I thought raising boiler temperature would best be done when cold returns to prove point.

Thanks again you for initial response.

Gasman77 - I accept that must be a possibility though doesn't explain why old boiler performed better. Thanks.

Brian, I appreciate that you are not a heatig engineer but the information you have given is inadequate for us to determine your problem. You are focussing on the boiler because you paid for it but the problem is likely to be other factors!

Its most likely to be undersized rads! But before coming to that conclusion can you advise us:-

Type and size of property?

Insulation fitted?

Power of old boiler?

Power of new boiler?

Whole house heat loss calculation?

Heat output of rads ( compare sizes with catalogue ) ?

Only with this information can we assess your problem without visiting you ( and charging for the visit ).

Of course any competent installer would have assessed and discussed all these issues withy you. They were paid for the installation but we are trying to give you free advice but need you to provide the information.

Tony Glazier

Agile :With hindsight of using forum, I think you have summed it up quite well. The situation is probably more complex than I had naively hoped; I have asked for the installer to review the installation and am awaiting their response. The combined answers on the forum have been useful in my understanding and given me options/ideas.
Thanks for taking the time to post.

Sponsored Links
I have asked for the installer to review the installation and am awaiting their response.
While you are waiting for this to happen, it would be sensible to do as Tony suggested, i.e.

Whole house heat loss calculation?

Heat output of rads ( compare sizes with catalogue ) ?

Here are the links:

Boiler Size Calculator

Stelrad Elite Catalogue

Do this before the installer comes along. Then post the results and which size 100-W boiler you have. This will help the contributors to this topic give meaningful advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back