Help on Cracks in my wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help with any advice.

1 I had an extension built 3 years ago.
2 The outside wall is brick and the inside is thermalite shield blocks with wet plaster.
3 The wall in question is the dining room extension and is 3 metres in length.
4 A vertical crack developed after a year and the builder came round and he v cutted the crack and plastered it.
5 After a year the crack came back in the same place.
6 The crack is all the way through the block as I can slip a card all the way through.
7 I have checked the outside wall where I can but can't see a crack in the brickwork. As I can only look down about 1 metre due to the limited gap I'm not sure further down.

I have attached pictures of the crack.

Any advice on has happened?
Do I need to worry?
What's the best way to rectify this so the crack doesn't come back?

The builder is off the scene.

Any advice or thoughts are moat appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Any thoughts anyone?
:(

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help with any advice.

1 I had an extension built 3 years ago.
2 The outside wall is brick and the inside is thermalite shield blocks with wet plaster.
3 The wall in question is the dining room extension and is 3 metres in length.
4 A vertical crack developed after a year and the builder came round and he v cutted the crack and plastered it.
5 After a year the crack came back in the same place.
6 The crack is all the way through the block as I can slip a card all the way through.
7 I have checked the outside wall where I can but can't see a crack in the brickwork. As I can only look down about 1 metre due to the limited gap I'm not sure further down.

I have attached pictures of the crack.

Any advice on has happened?
Do I need to worry?
What's the best way to rectify this so the crack doesn't come back?

The builder is off the scene.

Any advice or thoughts are moat appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You need to describe where the cracks are in relation to the extension and the main house

The other thing to do it draw a pencil line accross the crack and put the date on it. If it moves again, draw another line below it and date that, etc, to trace its movement.

We had a crack on the back wall of my parents house when that was build new, moved about a mill or two in the first few months at which point somone came round to look, and then maybe another mill of the next year or two, but has since been fine and not reformed.

Obviously if its on the move any more than that its not right but with my limited knowlage form this experence alone it doesnt appear to be uncommon for walls to move an amount when new.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Can you post the pictures?
Where about in Middlesex are you?
I could have a look if you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back