Cracking wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed the tiles from a section of bathroom wall and noticed the plaster behind them is cracked along all the mortar lines and through the centre of the supporting Thermolite blocks behind.

When I removed a large area of loose plaster/sand&cement render I could see the cracks had gone right through the mortar lines and the centre of the blocks. The wall does not sound nice and solid but rather loose when banged with my fist.

The problem area is in a 2 to 4.5 metre central section of the inner leaf of an external wall. The wall either side of this area, which is painted with emulsion, does not appear to be affected just the central section which was/is tiled.

Is this cracking a problem that requires fixing before I re-plaster and re-tile?
If it is , whats the best way to put it right?

I've seen expanded metal strip nailed in place over odd wall cracks then plastered over but I think my problem is too extensive for this approach.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

duffsparky.

Sponsored Links
Post a picture please.

Was there any signs of the damaged wall when the tiles were on, as in grouting cracks or tiles broken ?

Could the damage have been caused by excessive hammering force when taking the old tiles off ?

Hi chri5

There were/are broken tiles and some had fallen off. All the cracks are hair line.

Although I used a hammer and bolster to remove most of the tiles, many were/are loose to start with. I placed the bolter at the plaster tile boundary and struch downward almost parallel with the wall and tiles; so I don't think I've mullered the wall by hammering it. In most cases the tiles came off with a gentle tap.

Before removing the tiles I removed a dividing Thermolite block wall which was built at right angles to the problem wall. The removed wall was also extensively cracked behind the tiles. Nearly all the blocks were cracked through and most came away by rocking without the use of hammer and or bolster.

Thermalite is just insulation in block form. It doesn't have any structural function so don't worry about it.

Sponsored Links
They use concrete block on the load bearing walls.

They do around here. I don't build houses but I've drilled holes out of over a thousand - and never hit Celcon block yet in a load bearing wall. Get in a few lofts and see. (oh I forget you don't actually do that do you?)

That's the only way I've ever seen it done. They use Celcon on the non load bearers and concrete block on the load bearers. Celcon blocks crack if you kick them so there's no way I'd sit a joist on one. Would you? You don't need a drill to drill a hole you just push on your screwdriver and in it goes.
Why do you use them when they are known to crack and crumble? It's crazy man.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back