Help On How To Bleed Boiler???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All
I stupidly let the oil run out last night, and this morning im freezing my whats its off as its snowing at the moment, and ive no heat, besides my fire.
so I need to bleed my boiler but have no clue what to do as ive never done it before, I might aswell be looking in a ditch. I had the tank refilled this morning and the guy doing it said he couldn't because hes not insured and was rather dismissive. I would be grateful if anyone can assist me in restoring heat into my toes today,heres a photo :oops:

dscn2131yestz8.jpg

Sponsored Links
at the end of that braided pipe with red and green flecks is the oil pump.
not being able to see the pump........
so there maybe a nipple that you can undo with 10 or 11mm spanner
put a dish underneath and you should be able to bleed the air out

hello
thanks for the speedy reply, just took another snap just to make sure if its the right nut to undo, the rusty one underneath I take it? and will I leave the boiler running or switched off?

dscn2133yestyfk5.jpg

thanks guys

ok thats a riello from below, the rusty bolt is the return port (for two pipe system)
look on the top of the pump there possibley is a bleed nipple similar to a grease nipple,
dont run the burner while trying to do this.
if you cant find a nipple, try the side and there will be 2 plugs, with 4 or 5mm hex socket screw plugs, requiring an allen key.
just loosen and see if air and foam comes out till just pure oil comes out then retighten.
it may take a couple of attempts.
then try for a start.
but dont keep trying to reset because you will fill the boiler with unburnt oil,
let it evapourate between attempts or it could get a little explosive.

dont touch the hex plug with a slot screw in it as that sets the oil pressure

Sponsored Links
thanks so much I found the grease nipple or so it seems at the top, I opened it and I did see bubbles and then oil came out and I re tightened and tried the boiler and it didn't work, as you said it may take a few attempts, wait 10-15 in between I presume with boiler off? heres another photo just to confirm.
dscn2135questyhp8.jpg

thanks ''whatdo iknow'' great help.

that grease nipple..is the pressure adjustment screw.

The hex grub screw on end of 3"hex brass thing is bleed point.

in fact it nearly pokes yer fekkin eye out on pix

that grease nipple..is the pressure adjustment screw.

The hex grub screw on end of 3"hex brass thing is bleed point.

in fact it nearly pokes yer fekkin eye out on pix

with a slot in it like the one i described not to touch :eek:

:D so I adjusted the pressure adjustment screw.? is there a certain amount of turns etc that this should be set at, because it seems to turn endlessly..
sorry to make a cock up of simple instructions, but its my first time
Am I up **** creek without a paddle now?

im going to try the hex grub screw now or should I :eek:

stop now, if you altered that screw you altered the oil pressure and it will never be right till its set correctly.

get an engineer to it

do not attempt any further repair :!: :!:

Ok sorry to be a complete idiot, ive obviously learned the hard way and the expensive way on how Not to bleed a boiler and now have great knowledge on how to adjust the pressure screw :LOL:
Engineers on his way out today which is a stroke of luck if anything
thanks to both of you for your assistance ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back